CoinPeople.com

Someones experiment

Mark Stilson

Now this is just a bulk coin I bought in a silver bin so I really did not look at it that hard. Its a common year/mint 1886 phili. And no worth really over silver in this shape. Two possibilities I thought of. Either some one trying to "patch" the coin or some one doing a drill job to try to change the mint mark to an "S" since it is behind the mint mark and never completing it. What do you think?

tamper5.jpg

tamper3.jpg

tamper1.jpg

tamper4.jpg

Made at the Mints secret location so the Mint Mark is also secret. :ninja:

Got to go along with everyone else. Just a messed up die at the mint probably. Does not appear to be from anyone playing around. Besides why would anyone want to remove a mint mark that would have increased the coins value? Of course back in 1886 that was only a Dollar.

Made at the Mints secret location so the Mint Mark is also secret. :ninja:

Got to go along with everyone else. Just a messed up die at the mint probably. Does not appear to be from anyone playing around. Besides why would anyone want to remove a mint mark that would have increased the coins value? Of course back in 1886 that was only a Dollar.

You need to read what I said. A mark at this part of the coin is a normal spot for some one changing mint marks on the back. Drill thru a phili there and insert a "S" mint mark n the back you get a coin which has a mintage of 750,000 instead of 19,963,000. That's what I was talking about a failed attempt. Guess I'm just normally cynical when I see marks opposite the mint mark.

You need to read what I said. A mark at this part of the coin is a normal spot for some one changing mint marks on the back. Drill thru a phili there and insert a "S" mint mark n the back you get a coin which has a mintage of 750,000 instead of 19,963,000. That's what I was talking about a failed attempt. Guess I'm just normally cynical when I see marks opposite the mint mark.

I did read what you said. What I was saying was supposed to be called a joke. That means a funny thing. Note the statement about it was a dollar back then. Sorry about the joke. Guess such a mark is a serious thing.

I have seen some drilled holes filled and it dosent look like that. When you see one you can notice it.

Archived