CoinPeople.com

1964 unopened proof set

Vfox

Okay, in all seriousness, I did buy an unopened 1964 proof set, and I am in a bit of a cloud over what to do. Should I open it in hopes of finding a Dcam anything, or just leave it sealed and sell it off, never knowing? I got it to resell at first, but the mystery of what's inside is really eating at me. Should I, shouldn't I? What would you guys say?

*EDIT* Opened.

I got it to resell at first,

If it's not a purely business transaction to you, then by all means, open it! You're under no obligation to abide by some absurd rationale that part of your brain made at some point in the past. There is no binding contract between the thought out logic of yesterday and the seductive allure of the moment. Let your left hand represent yesteryear and your right hand represent the here and now...and don't let the left hand know what the right hand is doing...OPEN IT! :ninja:

My understanding is that a proofset in a sealed envelope may not have always been that way. People can get unused proofset envelopes and reseal the set so they can sell it as never been seen.

I read that somewhere, I don't remember where.

So I say liberate the shiny 5

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying it's sealed in a plain envelope keeping you from viewing the coins, or are you planning to crack them all out of an airtight case? If it's the former, go for it, because if it's not what you're looking for (what's Dcam?), I might take it's weight off your hands...

Note: I just tried to spell weight "wait" and your "you're" - too early.

I was informed that if it is the manilla envelope and it IS sealed then chances are it has already been inspected by someone. The envelopes originally came from the mint with the envelope flap open and NOT sealed. There was a big discussion about this on another forum because of all the so-called "unopened" and sealed sets being offered on ebay.

Vfox;

Just read this post and then went and looked at all my old proof sets that were sent to me directly from the mint. Absolutely none of these have been, so called sealed, in the outside wrapper. They just didn't come that way, and I have had mine out and looked at them through the plastic wrappers inside of the paper outside covering. My oppinion is that having the outside envelope sealed is no guarantee that it hasn't been at least opened and viewed as you would now like to do.

Okay, my camera was about to die, so I had take a quick shot. The coins are really nice, and the only coin that has any problems is a carbon spec on the rev of the Kennedy half. The quarter and dime are by far the nicest, with a really mirrored surface, the quarter is nearly flawless, at least a 67-68 candidate. Anyway, after thinking about what everyone said, and my own curiosity, I decided to pop it open. No worries though, I paid the price of a normal 64 proof set for it, so it's not like I lost anything in the process. :ninja:

Anyway, I'll get more shots once I recharge the camera!

5yip0nr.jpg

Okay, I finally got around to some pics, as well as a pic from the a 1959 proof quarter, a 76 proof set, and the 83 proof set I grabbed. :ninja:

6ch8wn7.jpg

5xqq1sk.jpg

6gu5kdz.jpg

4v6aj3o.jpg

67st26b.jpg

52v6wzc.jpg

6agydxz.jpg

630819d.jpg

4pjum89.jpg

4pmd16o.jpg

Thanks Dustin, but the photos still suck, I took them in bad lighting for proofs, you can't see the cameo well, and the detail is lacking because of the plastic they are in. Once I get a new setup for pics, I'll reimage these most likely.

Vfox;

Just read this post and then went and looked at all my old proof sets that were sent to me directly from the mint. Absolutely none of these have been, so called sealed, in the outside wrapper. They just didn't come that way, and I have had mine out and looked at them through the plastic wrappers inside of the paper outside covering. My oppinion is that having the outside envelope sealed is no guarantee that it hasn't been at least opened and viewed as you would now like to do.

\

I too have many sets from back then. I looked and none were ever sealed. I can tell that since there is no sign of me ripping them open which I would have done if sealed.