CoinPeople.com

Does any one know any thing about this medal

Looks like it says

Obv: LEUT. GENERAL WINFFILD SCOTT - HERO OF MEXICAN WAR 1847-48

Rev: ILLINOIS STATE BOARD OF AGRICULTURE - TO COMMEMORATE THE VALOR OF OUR SOLDIERS AND SAILORS 1861 1865 1898 1901

I looked around and couldnt find this exact medal but it seems like it is one of a series of medals with similar reverses and different portraits release by the Illinois State Board of Agriculture for Illinois State Fairs Volunteer days....here are 2 write ups of medals that look very similar to your but have different portraits:

IL Admiral Farragut Portrait Medal, 1909. Admiral David Farragut served in the US Navy from the War of 1812, and commanded at the Civil War battles of Vicksburg, Port Huron near Baton Rouge, and Mobile Bay. It was in the latter battle, when the ship in front of him struck a mine (then called a torpedo), that he shouted the words, "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" One of the few medals of this admiral, which was issued for US Volunteers Day at the Illinois State Fair. "U. S. Volunteers Day 1909" above 3/4th facing bust in admiral's uniform, "Admiral Farragut 1870" below / "Illinois State Board of Agriculture" around "To Commemorate the Valor of Our Soldiers and Sailors 1861 1865 1898 1901." By Childs. 38 mm, lacquered white metal with integral loop. XF. $25.00-35.00+

9965.JPG

IL Civil War Col. James Mulligan Portrait Medal, 1909. Col. James Mulligan commanded the Union troops at the battle of Lexington, Missouri, but lost to Confederate Forces. This medal was issued for US Volunteers Day in 1906 at the Illinois State Fair. "Lay Me Down and Save the Flag" above facing bust, "1830 1864 and "Colonel James A. Mulligan 23rd. Ill. Vols." / "Illinois State Board of Agriculture" around "To Commemorate the Valor of Our Soldiers and Sailors 1861 1865 1898 1901." By Childs. 38 mm, bronzed W-M with integral loop, suspended from 45 mm x 20 mm hanger with American shield and "Illinois 1906 State Fair". XF. $30.00-50.00+

9966.JPG

Archived