CoinPeople.com

Coin dealer flies dime worth $1.9 million to NYC

willieboyd2

'I didn't eat and I didn't sleep'

By Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, July 26, 2007

John Feigenbaum flew out of San Jose this week in first class, with flip-flops on his feet, a T-shirt on his back and a dime worth $1.9 million in his pocket.

It was the most expensive dime ever to pass through San Jose. That's because it is the most expensive dime in the history of dimes.

Feigenbaum is a rare coin dealer, and the dime he was carrying across the country, from San Jose to New York, is an 1894-S dime, one of only nine known to exist, and one of only 24 known to be coined that year in San Francisco.

Perhaps, though, the dime is again fated to be locked away in a bank vault as a penalty for being ugly. The coin is known as a Barber-style dime, bearing a ghastly likeness of Madam Liberty on the front and a boring wreath of corn and wheat and the words "one dime" on the back.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../07/27/DIME.TMP

:ninja:

'

Perhaps, though, the dime is again fated to be locked away in a bank vault as a penalty for being ugly. The coin is known as a Barber-style dime, bearing a ghastly likeness of Madam Liberty on the front and a boring wreath of corn and wheat and the words "one dime" on the back.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../07/27/DIME.TMP

;)

Ugly? :ninja:;) I'd much rather have them then roosies.

"Madam Liberty"

Last time I heard this was a man on the coin, oh it was minted in SF, maybe there was a change?

Never heard that before and I am a HUGE fan of this series so you'd think I'd hear the rumors.

Gorgeous coins. Maybe its because he didn't take a single glance at it that he didn't know it was a great design.

Not to pan Barber, but to me his Liberty's always seemed masculine. Maybe that was the idea of beauty at the time, though.

"The buyer spent about half an hour looking at it, Feigenbaum said, which worked out to 15 minutes for heads and 15 minutes for tails."

I'm glad that they can add 15 + 15 and make it equal 30 :ninja:

Archived