CoinPeople.com

Lincoln cent hoard

corkykile

Hi all,

Recently I posted that someone had given me three coffee cans and one quart jar full of pennies.

Today I finally finished checking and separating the entire hoard.

There were 12,316 pennies, with only a couple dozen being wheats.

There were 2,261 cents that are so corroded or damaged that I cannot even think about recycling them back into society. ;)

I now have about 164 rolls of cents from that hoard, and I will add another 12 rolls from my own rejects, giving me a fair amount of money that I will be donating to the local Boys and Girls Club so they can begin their bookcase building project.

I have about 14 rolls of cents that I found some sort of anomalies on and it will take time to recheck them and get photographs to post.

After this major project I am not sure I want to see another hoard of pennies in a long long time. :ninja:

Corky

they gave you all of em??? eh id put em back in circulation i just take em to a bank that i dont like lol..

He is a good friend and said he thought his kids or grandkids would be interested in them... but like most these days, no go.

Anyway, I do believe he was glad to be rid of them.

I will post a few pictures in a few minutes.

Corky

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Recently I posted that someone had given me three coffee cans and one quart jar full of pennies.

Today I finally finished checking and separating the entire hoard.

There were 12,316 pennies, with only a couple dozen being wheats.

There were 2,261 cents that are so corroded or damaged that I cannot even think about recycling them back into society. ;)

I now have about 164 rolls of cents from that hoard, and I will add another 12 rolls from my own rejects, giving me a fair amount of money that I will be donating to the local Boys and Girls Club so they can begin their bookcase building project.

I have about 14 rolls of cents that I found some sort of anomalies on and it will take time to recheck them and get photographs to post.

After this major project I am not sure I want to see another hoard of pennies in a long long time. :ninja:

Corky

Thats the great thing about cherrypicking the Lincolns.! They accumulate quickly if you dont cash them in & make a great savings for Christmas or for what ever you choose.. I ussually keep $5.00 out of every $20.00 for saveings + I keep all the copper lincolns I find.. The way I understood it, (correct me if im wrong) the mint will buy the copper lincolns back by weight after the coin is no longer minted.

mint will buy the copper lincolns back by weight after the coin is no longer minted.

Don't know for sure about what it would cost to actually send them. Seems like a no-win situation for most of us.

That is okay though, I managed to boil some more of them clean enough to put in wrappers. Right now I have over 200 rolls of pennies and will be glad to get rid of them as my computer room floor is beginning to sag a bit.

Hey, I even tried the famous corrosive powers of a certain cola drink... it is quite corrosive and made some of the holes in the pennies even larger. My grandkid was quite impressed, but not enough to refuse to drink cola if she can get her hands on it, which is one thing I won't allow her to have.

Thanks cherry...

Corky

• 2 weeks later...

Try cleaning a dirty coin with hot sauce from Taco Bell. It actually works.

Sorry I didn't respond to you on this. Been busier than a bee in springtime.

I decided to do a massive reboiling on the remaining coins and can now in good conscience can recycle all but about four+ rolls. Now I gotta figure out how to get them all downstairs...

I know, one at a time...

Corky

Try cleaning a dirty coin with hot sauce from Taco Bell. It actually works.

Sorry I didn't respond to you on this. Been busier than a bee in springtime.

I decided to do a massive reboiling on the remaining coins and can now in good conscience can recycle all but about four+ rolls. Now I gotta figure out how to get them all downstairs...

I know, one at a time...

Corky

just cut a hole in the floor and drop em on the couch!!! just make sure no one is on the couch hehe

:ninja: Dustin.

Pay for the travel, I'll take them downstairs for you ;)

Glad to see you're around ;)

All your ideas are quite helpful. Except, Dustin, my room is right over our homes music room, and I don't think my hubby would like my unloading the entire tonnage on his instruments.

Oh, and BigCanadianM... did you get those pennies? Sure hope they didn't get lost.

Corky

I think when all is said and done, I will keep the coppers that are in the best condition, and be rid of the zincs.

Talk with you all later.

Corky

I sure hope they didn't get lost! I'd :ninja:

I hesitated greatly about putting the actual contents on the customs form, but am afraid if I goof up the government will ban us (my husband's forum) from overseas mailing altogether. It is possible the bad weather floodings could have something to do with the delay.

Give it a few more days and let me know if they do or don't arrive. It isn't any big loss if they got lost because I have more just like them I can send instead.

Corky

Alright! :ninja:

May be hope for the world after all.

Just take a magnifying glass and start comparing the images, lettering, etc.

Until I did this I had no idea that each one was quite different than the other.

Some of the difference is actual physical change to the design to make it more readable, and some of the difference is in the quality of the dies used to strike the coin. The older coins, before 1982 are 'coppers' the others are mostly zinc.

Check out coppercoins.com and pocketchangelottery.com and koinpro.com for more on pennies and other error coins. They have a great deal of information available.

The ones I sent are only business uncirculated (BU) coins that I bought in rolls on ebay and a couple other places.

One cannot be guaranteed of a good quality coin showing up in a roll of fifty, but I still hope I find a few that are good enough for the four albums I am trying to fill.

I appreciate your offer on the reciprocation, but right now I am in the copper penny mode for this collection. Yeh, I know, someday I will have to graduate to nickels and dimes and upward.

I have gotten some interesting world coins at a local (35 miles from us) coin dealer that he has for sale at 8.50 per pound.

Fascinating stuff this world coinage and banknotes.

Corky

Archived