CoinPeople.com

Fads

Cherry Picker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Strike and Early Release coins.

These coins are not of any better quality and they are no more rare then any of the other coins released during the year.

Not necessarily something to avoid, but what I really don't get is buying normal CuNi coins that have been gold plated. Especially when I was furiously buying modern Greek coins, some months ago, I would see at least one or two 70s or 80s coin that were gold plated, and I think by the seller. I don't remember the Greek national bank doing that. Then again, I could be mistaken.

Now, maybe this is one of the numismatic arts I have no idea about yet... :ninja: I am quite new to this hobby. Still don't get it.

IMHO anything tombed in plastic.

Yup. They get busted out here and returned to being a coin or medal instead of product. I personally don't collect products.

Yup. They get busted out here and returned to being a coin or medal instead of product. I personally don't collect products.

I'm guessing you guys are older and more financially well-set than I am. I always disagree with statements similar to this. But we've got other threads for this debate so I'll hold my tongue here. :ninja:

I'm guessing you guys are older and more financially well-set than I am. I always disagree with statements similar to this. But we've got other threads for this debate so I'll hold my tongue here. :ninja:

lol im in the same boat!!! young and poor!!!

Hell, most coins and medals I collect have had many years of circulation or in the medals case, years of being touched...my hands arent going to hurt a coin anymore than the 50 other hands that touched it...no slabs for me either...I wanna touch the precious :ninja:

I think grading companies and slabs with acronyms and high numbers are a fad. ;)

Hell, most coins and medals I collect have had many years of circulation or in the medals case, years of being touched...my hands arent going to hurt a coin anymore than the 50 other hands that touched it...no slabs for me either...I wanna touch the precious :ninja:

I think grading companies and slabs with acronyms and high numbers are a fad. ;)

i second that!!!!

I think that the whole "conditional rarity" thing is driven by the Registry Set business and similar things. I have to believe that this would be one of the first areas to go in a downturning market.

I might get a tomato or 2 thrown at me for this... but i believe that there are some coins that just have to be slabbed.... coins that are very rare... or coins that are heavily counterfeited come to mind... but slabbing common coins for a high grade is a fad...

I agree...while I dont slab them...the fine gold and rare silver I handle with much more care and I use airtites to store them in.

I might get a tomato or 2 thrown at me for this... but i believe that there are some coins that just have to be slabbed.... coins that are very rare... or coins that are heavily counterfeited come to mind... but slabbing common coins for a high grade is a fad...

Well, first of all "Never throw fruit at a Dutchman!"

And while I personally dislike plastic, for the reason mentioned (product, etc), I've found that it's our hobby's equivalent of discussing operating systems, politics and religions. Best left alone... :ninja:

No tomatoes, but a good point. I admit I own about three coins in slabs, two shouldn't, but the 1799 Bust Dollar reassures me of it's authenticity. The others are an 1865 3¢ in MS-60, and a Scottish Groat from ca. 1365 in EF-45. Those latter two are crackout candidates, just don't want to damage the coins.

I agree with basically everything said above, there are so many things on the market that will in good measure go the way of the dodo. I do have to agree with our resident Dutchman though, authentication if a good thing, but I think TPG's in general are just a crock. Send in a coin, get an MS-64, send it in again, get a 63, send it again, get a 66, send it again, get a 61, it's all subjective, and to me, only my opinion matters to my personal collection.

The other fads being rainbow toning, the really bad NT or AT kind.

Colorized coins, not toned, but those stupid graphics placed on coins.

The grade of 70, which cannot exist, because no coin is perfect, EVER. ( I don't think this is really a fad, just an egregious error in judgement on the heads of every TPG out there)

Plated coins of any sort, as said above.

Eh, I'll think of more later, lol.

oh yeah...colored coins...hate them...all kinds...hope they ARE a fad...like this one...and this is a nicer example compared to some I have seen:

626363.jpg

That goes for the painted, fake color toning and the graphics on a normal coins...

Here is something that I hope is a fad...the coin that has parts that stand up:

2005_08_wtccoin.jpg

coins should not have moveable parts :ninja:

626363.jpg

Darn it! Why do I think this is cute!? :ninja: Still wouldn't pay the money this would probably cost. ;)

Stand up coins! Thank you, Drusus, for reminding me! Sad fad, indeed!

What do you all think of formed coins (I saw a Somalian Dollar once shaped like a motorcycle), hologram coins and coins made of niobium (what's up with that? Was that material ever considered for circulation coins?)

Archived