CoinPeople.com

Ripples

captaincoffee

I recently picked up one of the new Idaho quarters that had an interesting ripple effect on the reverse. The flat fields looked as if their were tiny waves or someone dropped a pebble in a still pond. I tried to get a picture, but it doesn't really look the same. In the pic, it almost looks like tiny cracks, but to the eye it looks as described above. Could anyone fill me in on what causes this? Thanks.

Dave

gallery_158_238_566.jpg

It is an aging die, the ripples are basically pits forming into the die. I notice this mostly on late date dimes and cents lately. Maybe because the die size is smaller, they think they can strike a few more coins with the die before sending it to Valhalla.

I just got a roll of P's at the bank, and those suckers are all filled dies and late die stages, cuds, and machine doubling. Out of the entire roll, I only got THREE that were normal, clean, nice looking coins. The Philly mint has no quality control lately, it's so lame. :ninja:

I just got a roll of P's at the bank, and those suckers are all filled dies and late die stages, cuds, and machine doubling. Out of the entire roll, I only got THREE that were normal, clean, nice looking coins. The Philly mint has no quality control lately, it's so lame. :ninja:

I am not that much further west than you really, but I only get D's and they are good coins.

Thanks! I just got back from a week of camping up in Shenandoah, so I am only seeing the replies now. You guys rock. BTW, I'm a National Park nut, and would highly encourage all of you to get out and enjoy them...the greatest resources our nation has. Truly beautiful and inspiring.

Dave

On the "glove" side, you've got Sleeping Bear Dunes. On the peninsula side, you've got Pictured Rocks. I remember going to the dunes a few times when I was a kid visiting Grandma. Technically, you've got Isle Royale N.P. too...but that would be quite an adventure just to get there. Of course, if you did, you could visit Ryan Island (the largest island on the largest lake on the largest island on the largest freshwater lake in the world).

Sorry for the non-coin post.

Dave

Archived