CoinPeople.com

Opinions about "U.S Mint" purchases.

Cherry Picker

if you are asking about the quality of the US mint product.... I like the quality of most of the coins produced by the mint... if you are talking about them holding their value over time thats a different story... as someone who buys a lot of US mint product on the after market I would say that %80-%90 of the items produced at the mint do not hold their value after a few years....

Just doing a fast run thru ebay "buy now" 2005 11 coin clad set 27$, 2003 clad 11 coin $23, 2003 silver 10 coin set $28. I bet 2006 when prices shake out they will be worse. They still have 2006 silver and mint sets listed on the mint site as available. The clads did sell out already. But you can never tell.

standard wholesale for modern sets from dealer to dealer is %80 of greysheet bid...greysheet for those sets are:

the 2005 11pc is bid at $16 which means that it wholesales for $12.80

the 2003 10pc is bid at $18 which means that is wholesales for $14.40

and the 2003 silver set bids at $20 which means it wholesales for $16

so my advice if you want to buy US mint products.... buy them on the after market... there are only 6 sets that have state quarters out of 25 or so that have been produced that have gained in value to a point where where are more then you paid for them if you bought them from the mint.

Im going to order the set of 4 Presidential dollars. The one I have seen in rolls just dont look good. They are all banged up and scratched. The quarters seem to come in alot better shape. It must be the edge lettering.

. there are only 6 sets that have state quarters out of 25 or so that have been produced that have gained in value to a point where where are more then you paid for them if you bought them from the mint.

Which ones are those? I don't have a guide book around.

My guess would be the 99 and 01 proof sets, and maybe the 04 sets as they sold out early. If you take the 1990s history of the mint going hog wild on products, culminating with the 56 different Olympic coins in 1996, we are on a parallel path. Back then, you could make out buying the coins that came immediately following the peak, when no one wanted anything to do with the mint's products. That's when you got coins like the NCS and Jackie Robinson that turned out to be very good aftermarket performers.

Great info.! Im just taking it all in.. :ninja: My main interest was (like Dprice) the 2007 president proof set.. Although not to pricey, I would speculate that these will go up in value after all the errors of the business strike are realized to be "not so rare".! Also, it seems this is the only option if you want a coin that isn't nicked,scratched or otherwise damaged.

Opinions on this mentality please.. (Ok, wise crack are welcome to.! ;) )

Thanks,Cherry Picker

Great info.! Im just taking it all in.. :ninja: My main interest was (like Dprice) the 2007 president proof set.. Although not to pricey, I would speculate that these will go up in value after all the errors of the business strike are realized to be "not so rare".! Also, it seems this is the only option if you want a coin that isn't nicked,scratched or otherwise damaged.

Opinions on this mentality please.. (Ok, wise crack are welcome to.! ;) )

Thanks,Cherry Picker

Well, I don't know what the price of the presiproofs will do, but a question to honestly ask yourself is why - that is, why will the price go up? They seem to be making enough of these so that everybody who wants one can get one. So why should the demand go up? I don't anticipate that they will sell out - they haven't yet - right?

You make a good point that it seems that if you want one that's not all hacked up, the proofs are a good option - but remember, they are not circulation strikes so they are not like getting an MS69. In fact, you make a good case for picking through thousands of them to find a few top conditions, have them slabbed and play the registry game.

BTW: Will there be no satin mint sets for these?

Well, I don't know what the price of the presiproofs will do, but a question to honestly ask yourself is why - that is, why will the price go up? They seem to be making enough of these so that everybody who wants one can get one. So why should the demand go up? I don't anticipate that they will sell out - they haven't yet - right?

You make a good point that it seems that if you want one that's not all hacked up, the proofs are a good option - but remember, they are not circulation strikes so they are not like getting an MS69. In fact, you make a good case for picking through thousands of them to find a few top conditions, have them slabbed and play the registry game.

Havent seen the minted #'s, I just didn't figure there would be as many proof coins available.

I have already searched thru several thousand circ strikes & I have a few coins that are very nice, but I doubt they would grade 69.! That will be difficult at best from what Ive seen.

Thanks, Cherry Picker.

I have had a standing order for mint products beginning in the early 70's and can say that only once have I been disapointed in their product. The price is right and if you should receive a damaged article, you are more than free to return it for another set, or your refund.

The main thing is keep on collecting. You never know when you will find another jackpot!

First off - Welcome Dan!

As for me, I've made it one of my collecting goals to obtain the mint and proof sets (and silver bullion) of each year. All of your comments are starting to make me consider changing that idea to the point that instead of buying the 2007 sets at the end of 2007, buying the 2002 sets at the end of 2007 instead.

The mint needs to calm down and take a decade-long break after this Presidential fiasco has ended.

As far as I know the uncirculated satin finish presidential parking tokens will be included with the rest of this year's coins in the 2007 P & D mint sets

As far as I know the uncirculated satin finish presidential parking tokens will be included with the rest of this year's coins in the 2007 P & D mint sets

Please limit your insults! These are not parking tokens but rather Chuck E Cheese tokens! Keep that straight!

I guess the idea of the Mint being in buisness for all these years has made them fairly good at what they do. True that most of thier stuff seldom is good for an investment. However, they do make good presents for Christmas. Every year I order about 15 or more proof and uncirc sets from the Mint. I give most away for presents and break up the remainder for my sets. I've noticed that over the years dealers I know say they have a hard time selling those and when they do not much of a profit.

ive never orderd from the mnt myself cause of the prices i mean i could understand paying 14 to 15 for a presidental dollor proof set if it was all silver but the metal its self isnt worth it... if they would lower there prices instead of "ropeing the market" then i would buy from them but until then nothing but buying from friends and auctions!!!

Archived