CoinPeople.com

I have no clue what these say!?

Vfox

Along with the other coins I purchased in that silver lot there were several of these, well, only one big one, and one medium, but 3 of the small guys. Anyway, I have no clue what they say, what they are, where they are from (I only assume the middle east?), and when they are from. Could someone who can read this language help me out? Thanks! :ninja:

5x588hy.jpg

4z3uk3r.jpg

52n5ks9.jpg

61oix5v.jpg

6ft1eaf.jpg

6eyqdsl.jpg

And finally this coin, if anyone could translate it, it would be a big help, thanks!

6ba1x95.jpg

5ymk5sh.jpg

the first 3 r silver saudi riyals (1,1/2,1/4) the 1/2 an 1/4 riyals r from 1935 to 1936 but the 1 riyal is from 1950 at the side where it shows the numbers its written "the amount" riyal arabi saudi in the front its says king of kingdom of saudi arabia = " malik mamlaka al arabia al saudia" but i cant read wats written in the circle in the front side :ninja: sry they are all sticking together xD i have 1 unc 1935/36 1 riyal ;) they r fairly common here

the second 1 written in urdu or something not arabic cant read it sry :/ (i say urdu cause in arabic its meaningles it says "sfer sfola rofya" :S which is gebrish in arabic xD thus urdu or some other language an its not from midd east ;))

I can tell you what they are...not as much what they say :ninja:

#1 Saudi Arabian km#18 1 Riyal (1950)

#2 Saudi Arabian km#17 1/2 Riyal (1935)

#3 Saudi Arabian km#16 1/4 Riyal (1935)

#4 Netherland East Indies coin km#318 1/10 Gulden (1942)

looks like I was beaten to the punch ;)

;) btw they r common here but doesnt they r cheap :ninja: can i ask how much u bought em ;)?

an btw at the number area "bank of mecca al mukarma" is written but still cant tell wats written on the face even my dad cant read it ;) but he says it might be a small prayer maybe :/ i don know but i wont say no cause its saudi arabia an they r really realigous so maybe ;)

Thanks for the info guys, I would be so lost otherwise! ;)

I got those three, two more 1/4 riyals, and about 10 other silver coins from the late 1800's to early 1900's (including those 4 I asked about in that other post), for $8.00. My dealer said to me, and I quote "Buy the damned things, I don't feel like looking these up anymore than I wanted to buy them". So I was happy to do so at $1 over what he paid. :ninja:

Thanks for the info guys, I would be so lost otherwise! ;)

I got those three, two more 1/4 riyals, and about 10 other silver coins from the late 1800's to early 1900's (including those 4 I asked about in that other post), for $8.00. My dealer said to me, and I quote "Buy the damned things, I don't feel like looking these up anymore than I wanted to buy them". So I was happy to do so at $1 over what he paid. :ninja:

I'm going to want the name of that deal for the next time I go home to visit my parents!

That's one thing I love about my local dealer, he knows a LOT about coins, but really hates looking up non-US issues he isn't familiar with, so he will just sell them to his normal customers at a little over what he paid. Heck, there was even these in that lot!

I woulda paid that much for just these two!

67ss2ux.jpg

4p1y335.jpg

4qp56hz.jpg

67owuh2.jpg

EDIT:

This was also in the lot, anyone know anything about it?

My guess is it's from the VA, but I don't know anything else really.

6bdhfk1.jpg

6bolz05.jpg

Man....I really made out on that deal! It's nice to get some great coins, cheap. Doesn't happen too often anymore, lol.

The Netherland East Indies coin was made in San Francisco.

I think that's kind of neat as I live near there.

:ninja:

Seriously? I thought the only non-us coin made here was the Philippines coinage?

• 3 weeks later...
Seriously? I thought the only non-us coin made here was the Philippines coinage?

Nope. In the past the United States has struck coins for Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Belgian Congo, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Fiji, France, French Indo-China, Greenland, Guatemala, Hawaii, Honduras, Israel, Liberia, Mexico, Nepal, Netherlands, Netherlands East Indies, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, El Salvador, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Surinam, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand and Venezuela.

From 1984 to 2000, the mint did not produce coins for other countries.

In June of 2000, the US mint struck a commemorative set featuring Leif Erickson, celebrating his 1000th anniversary of discovering North America. I know this because I very recently got my paws on the Iceland half of this set. Beautiful.

8_4_07_003_Small.jpg

Nope,

During WW2, the Netherlands were occupied by the germans and they obviously didn't strike dutch coins with our queen Wilhelmina on it.

The Dutch government "in exile" (who were in London) kept striking coins, for both the Netherlands and for several of the colonies. They asked the US mints to do that.

Normally, dutch coins have a mint mark and a mint master mark.

The mint mark of those US made coins is the letter of the mint, P, D or S and the mint master mark can be either an acorn (coin for The Netherlands) or a palm tree (coin for one of the colonies).

The mint mark of those US made coins is the letter of the mint, P, D or S and the mint master mark can be either an acorn (coin for The Netherlands) or a palm tree (coin for one of the colonies).

wow tnx for the info tran :ninja: nvr knew that an the first coins i collected were from the Netherlands ;)

Archived