CoinPeople.com

Request for help in id'ing this late roman

Graikos

Hello.

I was given a coin last night. A friend had it and didn't know what to do with it, so he just gave it to me. This is it:

Sptrmer.jpg

It is a late roman coin, either Constantius or Constans is depicted on the obverse. I used a book by Guido Bruck (Die spätrömische Kupferprägung) to id the coin type and I also had the Late Roman Bronze Coinage (British Museum) (from now on: LRBC) books nearby. It has a diameter of 16 cm and weighs about 1,28g.

Now... I am not very skilled in id'ing ancient coins and I am unsure about what exactly I am doing. I hope someone can help me finish the process.

From Bruck, I got the impression that it is either a Constans or Constantius with a reverse depicting double Victories with wreaths (page 80). Then I took a look at the bottom of the reverse and saw a line with the letters SMTSA under it. In the LRBC, I found out that SMSTA is the abbreviation for Thessalonica for Constans coins. On page 21 I lokated SMTSA, line over the letters and a symbol on top . I would say that I can even see the little symbol over the line on the coin, between the two Victories. So this would be a IV Period (341 - 346 A. D. ) coin of Constans. What bugs me is that I can read Constant[] on the obverse.

Am I right? Or am I wrong?

Thanks for reading through my post. Hopefully, someone can help. :ninja:

I believe your coin is Constantius II AE4 AD 324-361 "Two Victories" Thessalonica RIC VII 185

Constantius II AE4 AD 324-361 CONSTANTI-VS P F AVG , Diademed bust right, draped and cuirassed/ VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - Two Victories standing and facing each other, each holding wreath and palm SMTS(delta) in ex

I believe your coin is Constantius II AE4 AD 324-361 "Two Victories" Thessalonica RIC VII 185

Constantius II AE4 AD 324-361 CONSTANTI-VS P F AVG , Diademed bust right, draped and cuirassed/ VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN - Two Victories standing and facing each other, each holding wreath and palm SMTS(delta) in ex

Ah! I did not find this type for Constantius II. I probably didn't pay enough attention. I will take a look at LRBC tomorrow and maybe I can find it. Thank you very much, Drusus. I am glad that I got the period more or less right as well as Thessalonica. :ninja:

Archived