CoinPeople.com

Australian Kookaburra 10 oz

Maya

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if anybody could help me resolve an issue that has recently come up.

The Kookaburra series of Australian coins seems to be a very confusing one.

Does anyone know if this design:

http://www.australianstamp.com/Coin-web/au...er/199011oz.htm

was ever produced in 10 ounces? The 1oz was minted as a Proof in 1990, and as bullion in 1991. Krause shows a picture of it in 10 ouces but I have been unable to find any reference to it ever having been produced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. :ninja:

I know that there were quite a few Kookaburra 10 oz coins minted from 1991 to 2007. What was produced as a Proof one year, was minted as a bulloin coin the following year (with some exceptions in 1991 - 1992).

What I was wondering is if the particular design I posted at the beginning of the thread, described as "Kookaburra Near Tree Trunk" was ever used in the 10 oz. Krause shows a picture of it, but I haven't seen any other reference to it.

The only coins I have found that showed that particular design were the 1 oz.

The PandaAmerica site has images of quite a few of them.

Thank you Scottishmoney. ;)

PandaAmerica does have a very good inventory of Australian coins in general, and quite a few pictures of the Kookaburra series. Australianstamp has a very comprehensive list of the series as well. But neither of them have any references to the "Kookaburra Near a Tree Trunk" in 10 ounces.

The only reference I have seen is in Krause and I would assume it's a mistake if they did not show an actual image of the coin in the Bullion issue. That image must have come from somewhere? :ninja:

I would suggest jumping on the 2007 Silver Koala series that Australia just started this year. We here in the states are hearing rumors of a new design each year on this series so I believe it will be worth while! Maybe they are hoping to match what China has done with their Silver Panda series which is another beautiful bullion coin!

I would suggest jumping on the 2007 Silver Koala series that Australia just started this year. We here in the states are hearing rumors of a new design each year on this series so I believe it will be worth while! Maybe they are hoping to match what China has done with their Silver Panda series which is another beautiful bullion coin!

This may turn out to be an interesting series indeed. I have already purchased the 2007 coin a couple of months ago. I think that the Panda series was a little finer, but we'll see how it goes.

I was just looking through my old 2002 krause and it doesn't show a picture of that coin. I wonder if the picture in the 2008 krause should be of the bird feeding.

Thank you Brett for looking it up ;) . And you are right, the "Feeding Nestling" design was introduced as a Proof in 1992. But the 10 oz Bullion coin of this design, which should have come out in 1993 was never released, as far as I know. Another design was used instead. ;)

This series is very confusing. I am beginning to make some sense out of it, but Krause has a real problem with it.

The picture of the 1992 Bullion coin in the 2007 Krause that I have, should have been "K. on Tree Stump". Instead it is distinctly showing "K. Near Tree Trunk" with the year 1992 and 10 oz clearly shown on the reverse. That is why I find it so difficult to understand. If it is a mistake on Krause's part, where did the picture come from if this version was never released? :ninja:

It might be a plan in progress, i.e. the Perth Mint had plans to mint such coins and printed catalogues for it but figured that it would be tough to market such coins and cancelled it in the last minute.

For example Australia in the past used to have kilo platinum coins and had evil intentions of selling probably a hundred or so per year. Unfortunately sales were so slow that they stopped minting them after two years when only 20ish were sold each year.

By the way Maya, I highly recommand you to sign in at coincommunity.com as that is where most of the good Australian numismatics are located at. I am in there too.