CoinPeople.com

Pretty Coin Picture Thread

Guest Stujoe

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 'pretty coin' is this 1979-S SBA. only because it is the first Proof I have come to own.

Im glad the SBA came up, I like it though some refer to it as the ugliest coin in US history... even when it is all shiny and new.

1100811767318_cud_1.jpg

1101192766717_cud_2.jpg

What happened to that little lady?

-Bobby

Im glad the SBA came up, I like it though some refer to it as the ugliest coin in US history... even when it is all shiny and new.

What happened to that little lady?

-Bobby

The SBA (IMO, admittedly) isn't even close to the ugliest coin in U.S. history. But it was replaced by the 2nd ugliest dollar coin (and 3rd ugliest overall) in history!

Jim

The SBA (IMO, admittedly) isn't even close to the ugliest coin in U.S. history.  But it was replaced by the 2nd ugliest dollar coin (and 3rd ugliest overall) in history!

Jim

Well i agree with you. I've never really considered the SBA much, but it's definately not ugly.

Ugly to me is those Matron Head cents, they do pick some real mingers to put on the obverse. Oh then there's the Fluffalo Nickels and the Jeffs, and the Sacs. I'm not overtly keen on any of the seated Liberty stuff (it ain't ugly at all, they just don't look American to me, i think Switzerland).

Oh jeeze i thought i'd seen everything until i turned to the Gold produced between 1813-1839... yeuk. Just like the Matron head copper, nasty. You wouldn't want to meet her on a dark alley, then again the light of a well lit one wouldn't do her any favours neither.

Jim you must be referring to the Morgans. (Or was it the Ikes?) I forget.

Well i agree with you. I've never really considered the SBA much, but it's definately not ugly.

Ugly to me is those Matron Head cents, they do pick some real mingers to put on the obverse. Oh then there's the Fluffalo Nickels and the Jeffs, and the Sacs. I'm not overtly keen on any of the seated Liberty stuff (it ain't ugly at all, they just don't look American to me, i think Switzerland).

Oh jeeze i thought i'd seen everything until i turned to the Gold produced between 1813-1839... yeuk. Just like the Matron head copper, nasty. You wouldn't want to meet her on a dark alley, then again the light of a well lit one wouldn't do her any favours neither.

Jim you must be referring to the Morgans. (Or was it the Ikes?) I forget.

I firmly believe that the Morgan dollar is BY FAR the ugliest obverse design in U.S. history. ( The reverse is okay but not enough to overcome the obverse.) The Lincoln cent ranks second on my ugly scale simply because of the vastly mythologized and over-rated man honored. Again, I like the reverse--wheat and memorial both--but cannot countenance honoring a tyrant like Lincoln.

I was hoo-hum about the SBA's design. (But hated the idea of a dollar coin.) The more I am forced to look at Saccies, however, the better the SBA looks to me.

I was hoo-hum about the SBA's design. (But hated the idea of a dollar coin.)  The more I am forced to look at Saccies, however, the better the SBA looks to me.

Have you seen, what has been referred to as, Gasparro's original intention for the small dollar coin?

Link to pics of that design (and a nice site as well)

Although I am not a big fan of the "retro" school of design, I think this would have been a nice coin and maybe, just maybe, would have paved the way... back

The SBA and SAC are real nice...as commemoratives.

Oh my God that is hideous. What has that Liberty been smoking? She looks like she should go into rehab. And the hair! Member of the Addams family?

I thought the Sac was bad but not after seeing that.

I agree with you - it is truly a BEAUTIFUL coin and a terrible shame that it was, apparently, usurped by the SBA - but alas, not everyone shares our sense of asthetics *sigh*

Guest Stujoe

It is the same size and it doesn't have COPY or anything on it. I am not sure it has to since the design was never struck. It is also silver and not nickel so the bullion value is greater than a nickel, I imagine..

BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!

Stu, 2 of your photoes above DO NOT match the title thread.

First, no gold coin--simply because of the metal of which it is made--can be considered to be pretty :ninja:

Second, no Lincoln cent--by virtue of the man represented by the obverse--can ever be considered pretty. ;)

;)

We now return you to your normally scheduled thread on pretty coins.

BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!BEEEP!

Guest Stujoe
Stu, 2 of your photoes above DO NOT match the title thread. 

First, no gold coin--simply because of the metal of which it is made--can be considered to be pretty :ninja:

Second, no Lincoln cent--by virtue of the man represented by the obverse--can ever be considered pretty. ;)

;)

We now return you to your normally scheduled thread on pretty coins.

Gold is certainly my least favorite coin metal of the big four (Copper, Silver, Nickel and Gold) but I do love that design. And any nice, brown, copper coin is automatically pretty. I'd be a fan of the Shriver commem if I could find a nice EF copper one. :lol: