CoinPeople.com

Look at what I found..

i dont have any magnifying glasses or eye peices just my eyes does most cons with double rims have doubleng??

Great Find!

Hey Dustin... you can send them to me and I will check them over for you and send them back....

someday.

Gee, I wouldn't even begin to be able to see the mint mark without a magnifying glass.

I have 7x, 10x, and a combo that makes a 15x. I use the 10x a lot because it has a much larger viewing surface than the others.

Check out the Whitman Publishing site and I think you can find a decent 10x loupe pretty reasonable.

The one I got is an H.E. Harris and Co 10x with a 7/8 inch viewing surface. I think it cost about 10.00 plus shipping.

Someday maybe I will graduate from Lincoln cents, but I am not holding my breath.

Corky

How do you guys pick these out from the crowd? Obvious doubling, once someone points out that it's doubled; I just wouldn't be able to find it on my own. Wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of these have passed through my hands in my lifetime :ninja:

How do you guys pick these out from the crowd? Obvious doubling, once someone points out that it's doubled; I just wouldn't be able to find it on my own. Wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of these have passed through my hands in my lifetime :ninja:

in the same boat..

does most cons with double rims have doubleng??

Dont know about that, but I surely couldn't find the rim without my trusty loops :ninja:;)

Check out this apparatus..

Clickable thumbnails..

th_Picture036.jpg

th_Picture-1.jpg

wow very nice set up!!!! bey that costed a few pennies!!

How do you guys pick these out from the crowd?

Not to mention how many I recycled back into society before I got my 10x loupe... geee whizzz..

Actually, the way I go about finding things on the coin is to first look at the coin without the loupe.. is it pleasing to the eye? Is it somehow imperfect? Then I bring out the loupe and give it a once over on obverse and reverse. If I see anything that 'doesn't belong' (those are the two key words here), I check it over more carefully. Be sure to have good lighting, as it makes a world of difference in seeing anything, let alone coins. And when you have the coin under the light be sure to tilt the coin every which way and view it from every angle possible. Hopefully with the magnifier.

I have actually been going back over all the coins I have in my albums, and the ones I put aside in tubes, since I got a really good 10x loupe. This is how I discovered most of the errors I have found.

Of course, my 9 year old grandkid can see some of the errors with her young eyes... me, I have to struggle. Even with reading glasses I cannot definitely determine what mint mark is on the coin unless it is a large mark.

Corky

I have a 16x loop. I paid $16 for it. It is as big as a Quarter, so you can look at the whole quarter at one time. I have a17x loop but it a small one. Im thinking about biying an electron microscope. To find these errors it helps to have 15x - 20x these make it better to see.

I have a17x loop but it a small one. Im thinking about biying an electron microscope. To find these errors it helps to have 15x - 20x these make it better to see.

The problem with the high magnification loops is, if it takes that much power to see the error, you likely haven't found much.! The DDR above was found with a 5X loop.. The glass on this 5x loop is large enough so I can view with both eyes open which causes alot less fatigue on the eyes.. By turning the coin under the loop at angles to the light, you can easily see if something is out of the ordinary on the coin face..

IMO, the big loops are good for checking out Mint Marks, trying to link to a specific die or simply checking the error out in detail..

Cherry Picker.

Nice!

How much of a premium are these worth?

And whats the diff between a DDO/R and a double struck? (I'm guessing the die itself is doubled (Is that possible?)-so there would be millions(?) of that particular DDR/O?)

:ninja: thats a lot of question marks!

Thanks to whoever finds the time to aswer ;)

Archived