CoinPeople.com

Scotland's most important collection of antique coins stolen

willieboyd2

Scotland's most important collection of antique coins has been stolen, police have revealed.

The unique collection, which has been valued at more than 500,000, features pieces dating back to 1136, when the very first Scottish coins were minted.

A total of more than 1,000 coins were stolen from the home of Lord and Lady Stewartby in Broughton, near Peebles.

A "substantial reward" has been offered to anyone who can help recover the collection.

"We would appeal to anyone who may have information as to the whereabouts of the collection or anyone who has been offered some rare and unique coins."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...and/6283688.stm

I don't know anything, so don't even suggest it :ninja:

I HAVE CAUGHT THE THIEF !!! I HAVE CAUGHT HIM !!!! Scottishmoney ;) evidence :- SEE THE NAME !!! ;) ok now for my reward i want the whole collection :D :D anyways acting mature *cough cough* too bad i hope the Coin Collectors Law Enforcement (aka C.C.L.E) catch the robber(s) (even though i already caught him >_>) an dip em in sulphric acid an throw them to a bunch of stampeding elephants an lions ;) an other stuff i shall not mention as it is classified ;):D

i just saw this "Lord Stewartby has been collecting coins since he was a child, and is recognised as being a leading authority on the subject." ??? where was i when he was announced as a leading authority ??? nvr heard of him actually however i say Art AN Scottishmoney (an alot of others but basicly ppl in cp only ;) an ofcourse me for king ;):ninja:)for presidents!!! (even though 1 is a robber which i wont mention who who stole the poor guys collection >_> ;))

not ancients x< they were medevil coins ancients r from bc-1000 ad or something :/ ....i guess xD but nah they werent ancients just pretty rare feel sry for the dude :/ if it happ to me ill go kill random ppl an then kill my self xD (ofcourse taking out dustin in process so he wont enjoy having my coins >_> xD)

edit:- 1 was a roburt bruce coin ... u ever saw braveheart ??? the guy who betrays him but ends up being sry an in the end becoming king thats robert bruce(aka the dude #2 xD) :/ he ruled scotland from 1306 till 1329 that coin was rarest me thinks ;) would have ebayed that ;)!!!!! i wouldnt ;) but ill have to live in oprahs vault to keep that coin safe xD (oprah just came to my mind :ninja: ) ;)

not ancients x< they were medevil coins ancients r from bc-1000 ad or something :/ ....i guess xD but nah they werent ancients just pretty rare feel sry for the dude :/ if it happ to me ill go kill random ppl an then kill my self xD (ofcourse taking out dustin in process so he wont enjoy having my coins >_> xD)

sounds like i need a gun!!!

no use i have a tank ;):ninja: okok lets not make this a convo xD (omg we make almost every post a convo ;) from now on we pm replies xD)

were like to old ladies on the phone!!! sry women...

The plot thickens:

But just as Lord Stewartby, 71, a former government minister, was about to start cataloguing his treasures in retirement, the collection has been stolen from his country home, Broughton Green, which featured in the classic thriller "The 39 Steps".

Little else is believed to have been stolen from the house, where Lady Stewartby’s grandfather, the author John Buchan, lived. It featured in several of his books, including his best-seller, "The 39 Steps".

Mr Holmes said coin dealers would have been tipped off about any of the items coming onto the market.

Holmes is working on the case?

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Coin theft police look overseas

Police investigating the theft of a collection of rare historical Scottish coins have expanded their investigation to overseas sales outlets.

Officers have contacted a number of coin houses in Europe and America, in the event that they come up for sale on the international market.

The collection, owned by the renowned numismatist Lord Stewartby, were stolen from his home in the Scottish Borders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...and/6904214.stm

Your collection being stolen is almost the worst thing I think that could happen to someone. All the time and money you put into it. No matter how big, small, worth $1000 or priceless. My coins mean alot to me. I cherish every coin that I have. I hate a thief. I hope he gets his collection back. I dont think he will. He may get some pieces back. Its sad that they steal something they cant really sell. They should have stopped at the jewelry. The coins must have not been in a Safe. I wounder if the collection was insured????

Archived