CoinPeople.com

The Year was 1957....

Lucille

Russia launches Sputnik I, first earth-orbiting satellite—the Space Age begins (Oct. 4).

The USSR tests its first successful ICBM.

Eisenhower Doctrine calls for aid to Mideast countries that resist armed aggression from Communist-controlled nations (Jan. 5).

The "Little Rock Nine" integrate Arkansas high school. Eisenhower sends troops to quell mob and protect the students after Gov. Orval Faubus defies federal order (Sept. 24).

World Series

Milwaukee Braves d. NY Yankees (4-3)

NBA Championship

Boston d. St. Louis Hawks (4-3)

Stanley Cup

Montreal d. Boston (4-1)

Wimbledon

Women: Althea Gibson d. D. Hard (6-3 6-2)

Men: Lew Hoad d. A. Cooper (6-2 6-1 6-2)

Kentucky Derby Champion

Iron Liege

NCAA Basketball Championship

North Carolina d. Kansas (54-53 3OT)

NCAA Football Champions

Auburn (AP) (10-0-0) & Ohio St. (UP, FW, INS) (9-1-0)

And Rock'n Roll had exploded on scene was in full swing, some may call this year ultimate year for music, but the Hepcats love em all...

A quick check of what was rockin' the airwaves and jukeboxes round the nation:

"Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On," Jerry Lee Lewis

"Jailhouse Rock," Elvis Presley

"Peggy Sue," Buddy Holly

"School Day," Chuck Berry

"Lucille," Little Richard

"Little Darlin'," The Diamonds

Party Doll w Buddy Knox

Yes the Nation was rockin' and boppin', and also spending these big Silver coins, that of course were in circulation during the greatest of times, the 1950's, and the year was 1957.

1-76.jpg

1-77.jpg

1-73.jpg

1-74.jpg

This thread has been brought to you by HepKitty productions.

The Hepcats know.

Any unauthorized use of this thread or trolling or posting of hairyheads is strictly prohibited.

Great thread and great Frannkies. I remember 1957 quite well even though I was just a wee-knipper.

The year was 1957, and -- the Treaty of Rome was signed (founding what today is the European Union), the state of Saarland joined the Federal Republic of Germany, and the Bundesbank (Germany's central bank) was established. Oh, and ... Osama bin Laden was born, Humphrey Bogart died, and yours truly did not exist. :ninja:

Christian

The year was 1957 and my mother was still in middle school. I have pictures of her in poofy dresses and hair styles that I know she must have loathed but been forced to have. She was a jeans and tee shirt and keds girl in an era of bobby socks, prim dresses and polished black leather shoes.

The 1950's were definetely a conformist era, and I think because of that the result was the 1960's counter culture.

1957. I was collecting coins for 14 years by then. Obviously the most important thing here has been missed. The 57 Chevy convertible with the 270 engine, dual quad carb's, stick shift and the fastest thing around. Buddy of mine had one while I was driving a 51 Merc. And how about that 57 T-Bird? Still my favorite was the Continental.

1957. I was collecting coins for 14 years by then. Obviously the most important thing here has been missed. The 57 Chevy convertible with the 270 engine, dual quad carb's, stick shift and the fastest thing around. Buddy of mine had one while I was driving a 51 Merc. And how about that 57 T-Bird? Still my favorite was the Continental.

:ninja:;) !!!! ive been wanting a 64 chevy c10 stepside bed ;) (chevy man)

Archived