CoinPeople.com

New eBay Scam???

jtryka

Well, eBay has always been a fertile field for scam artists, despite the efforts of the company, and we've all seen various e-mail scams involving them, but today I think I received a new one. I have been looking for an upgrade for my 1914 $20 FRN, and have bid on a few, and today I received an e-mail reprinted as follows:

Dear jtryka,

You expressed interest on an item. I'm the owner of that item on which you've recently bided on through the eBay system... Item title: *** 1914 $20 Fed Reserve Note XF NO RESERVE -- Item number: (deleted to protect the innocent)*** and I've contacted you because I need to know if you are still interested to buy it... Email me as soon as posible with your answer because I must to know if is necesarly to find another buyer or if you can buy the item....If you accept this offer the eBay policy automatically proclaims you winner.Please include in your answer ,your best price that you can offer for the item.The transaction will go strictly according to eBay's RULES and POLICY and will be supervised by eBay Trust & Safety Department. If you are interested just contact me, (deleted)@aol.com is my email...

So, I went to my eBay to check on the auction, and it was still going on with a day left! I e-mailed the seller to see if they actually sent this message since it would be odd to send such a message with the auction ongoing. To me, this seems like an effort to just get some unsuspecting bidders to pay money for nothing thinking it was like a second chance offer. Still haven't heard back from the seller, but it might be something that they had no idea was going on, and I still don't know how this person even got my e-mail address since I thought eBay no longer allowed that?

Yeah, that email sure doesn't pass the smell test...

... On another eBay note, while this isn't exactly a scam, I did think it was hillarious. Anyone in the market for a 1909 S VDB?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-S-V-D-B-Lincoln-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

:ninja:

Yeah, that email sure doesn't pass the smell test...

... On another eBay note, while this isn't exactly a scam, I did think it was hillarious. Anyone in the market for a 1909 S VDB?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-S-V-D-B-Lincoln-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

even if the "o'so original s" wasnt on it it will still cost bout 10-25 cents xD

I've actually had this attempted on me about 5 times now, I figured it was just an old scam. I also get about 2-3 emails a week from scam artists claiming to be anything from an ebay employee, to sellers with a second chance offer, to people actually attempting to "send" me payment, while they just needed my "info", lol. I report every single email, and I hope they all get what's coming to them. It's sometimes hard to imagine the masses of horrible people in this world.

On the other hand -- I once had bid on an Elvis on SUN label 45 RPM record and was outbid -- apparently the 'buyer' had a bigger mouth than purse and couldn't pay for the item....I then received a 'secondary' eMail (NEVER RESPOND TO THESE, SAYS EBAY) to purchase the item -- the guy sounded genuine and so was the fabulous record he sent me -- go figure...

Ebay says that for two reasons, one because they lose money, and two because it just might be a scam.

Ebay says that for two reasons, one because they lose money, and two because it just might be a scam.

More likely, ebay says that for one reason only: that they wouldn't get their cut. Ebay has never shown me anything to indicate that they care who gets ripped off on their venue. Ebay sucks. That's my opinion of the company.

From another coin forum. This seller has been reported by a few people. Its pretty sad Ebay has let this continue. Talk about a lot of bad fakes. ;):ninja:

Oh man this seller is just too funny! First they say "I UNKNOWN NOTHING ABOUT THESE COINS" then they say, "I HAVE HUNDREDS OF THIS KIND OF COINS THAN I GOING TO LIST."

So, you know nothing about the 100's of coins that you are selling? Can you imagine a store in the real world trying to pull that carp? "I know nothing about these Iphones I'm selling." The only thing more pathetic then the ad copy is the amount of money the "bids" have been driven up to.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got another one today from an item I bid on, but this one looked EXACTLY like the eBay second chance item form. So I forwarded it to eBay safeharbor, and their response was not exactly conclusive either way. The second chance offer even appeared on the "My eBay" page and so I decided to ask the seller if it was the same item, and the seller just responded that it was a scam. It's really getting so that I am afraid to buy or bid on anything anymore!

Archived