CoinPeople.com

1998 Dime Error????

The cud is round on the tip off center leaf. The dime has a Starburst look to it. Over polished die? What would this be called??? Any Opinions???? What would this be worth???

926390.jpg

The starburst pattern is, from what I recall, somewhat common, especially amongst coins minted early in the dies' life. It is an artifact of the metal flow around the devices. MS Peace Dollars display this especially distinctly and I think MS Indian Head nickels as well.

As far as the cud, small, even for a dime, probably won't rocket the price to anything impressive.

The starburst pattern is, from what I recall, somewhat common, especially amongst coins minted early in the dies' life. It is an artifact of the metal flow around the devices. MS Peace Dollars display this especially distinctly and I think MS Indian Head nickels as well.

So would a dip/whiz/or clean affect the starburst? I've come across some Peace $s that look cleaned and if a starburst is affectd by cleaning maybe I could use that as a diagnostic

Yes. One of the ways to tell if an MS Peace Dollar has been whizzed is to look for the starburst pattern. It isn't always there on legit MS coins, but if the starburst isn't there on a real Gem BU coin then that should be a good tip to start looking for other signs that the coin might be whizzed.

Thats not a cud. A cud is a die chip that runs off the edge of the coin.

What is the raised peace of metal called on the leaf???

Archived