CoinPeople.com

Please help me identify this coin

Hi all I am returning to this hobby after 8 years. It was in 1999 that my coin collection was stolen and after this I lost heart and ceased collecting. I also got rid of my reference books so I cannot identify which class of Edward I penny this coin is that I have recently acquired.

Your help would be much appreciated

Thank You

Steve Miller

4y0obki.jpg

4vrh3es.jpg

I'll risk a guess at Edward I,new coinage from 1279, Class 2a, London mint.

Reasons:- EDW R ANGLI.DNS HYB Cross Normal, broken left petal to central fleur of crown. Spinks 1385 North 1014.

I have some doubts. Care to argue? :ninja:

I'll risk a guess at Edward I,new coinage from 1279, Class 2a, London mint.

Reasons:- EDW R ANGLI.DNS HYB Cross Normal, broken left petal to central fleur of crown. Spinks 1385 North 1014.

I have some doubts. Care to argue? :ninja:

Hi thank you for replying and taking time to look it up.

I certainly am not going to argue because I have nothing to argue with ;)

However I see a comma after the R

EDW R' ANGL. DNS HYB

Maybe the picture below will be a little clearer

677ilxd.jpg

That is one of the reasons I said I had doubts! But it was usual for some moneyers to deform letters, punch out parts of the design or add stops or commas to legend or beside the three pellet designs as an identifying mark, so I need more than that to change my mind. Note that the pellet has a companion comma?

That is one of the reasons I said I had doubts! But it was usual for some moneyers to deform letters, punch out parts of the design or add stops or commas to legend or beside the three pellet designs as an identifying mark, so I need more than that to change my mind. Note that the pellet has a companion comma?

Hi yep I see that pellet.

You are probably correct I have done a bit of searching on the net and class 2a look very much the same as mine. However nothing beats reference books and I need to get them again soon.

Thank you once again I appreciate it

all the best

Steve

Archived