CoinPeople.com

Another Fractional "Walker" in Gem

Greetings friends...another fractional "Walker" Fr#1308 in Gem to share with you all.

It is a pleasure for me to share this example with you. (this note is part of the 4th and 5th Issue's in my collection)

Chow...

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

Here is who he was....

"When Robert J. Walker (1801-1869) was appointed Secretary of the Treasury by President James K. Polk in 1845, he had already established himself as a supporter of an independent treasury system and an apostle of free trade. His first concern as Secretary was the establishment of the Independent Treasury System of 1846, whereby the Treasury Department was made solely responsible for the handling of public monies. The new system established subtreasuries for the collection, safe-keeping, transfer, and disbursement of the public revenue.

Walker was also committed to free trade and was responsible for the Walker Tariff Bill of 1846, which significantly lowered import duties. He believed that no more money should be collected than was necessary for the needs of the government and that imports should be free if the country wanted to export its surplus products. The new lower tariff had a positive effect, resulting in an increase in trade and a coincidental increase in revenue for the government. Domestically Walker was an expansionist and was largely responsible for the establishment of the of the Department of the Interior in 1849. He retired at the end of Polk's administration.

Source: US Treasury, Histroy of the UST.

Walker_long_Key.jpg

Walker_Long_Key_Rev.jpg

What does the reverse mean by "Columbian Bank Note"?

Cool note! Seeing those in UNC whets my appetite for a few for my collection.

Great question;

Simply put, the "Columbian Bank Note Co" was contracted to produce the note. from engraving the plates to printing it. On Issues that precede that issue, it was the "National Bank Note Co; NY that produced the notes.

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

Great question;

Simply put, the "Columbian Bank Note Co" was contracted to produce the note. from engraving the plates to printing it. On Issues that precede that issue, it was the "National Bank Note Co; NY that produced the notes.

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

Well it seem's that I got lucky today...I found a Fr# 1309 "short key" in Gem 66. This completes the 2 .25 cent notes with Walker on them...3 more for the 5th Issue and that's it.

1/2 Cotten 1/2 Linen

Archived