CoinPeople.com

Iranian coin or medal?

Andrey5

Could anybody please help me with identifying this item and determining its approximate value?

http://avscoins.com/Iran-SH1350.jpg

It is silver, weights 11,72 g, size 31,1 mm. Elements of design look similar to coins of Iran dedicated to the 2500th anniversary of the Persian Empire. Does the legend mention denomination, or is it a medal?

I am very new to Arabic numerals, but I cannot see a denomination. The only thing I recognize as numbers is the year 1350. Krause has two coins with a similar structure as your coin/medal has on the reverse, but the obverse carries the Persian lion. Both of them are anniversary coins, one for 75 and the other for 750 Rials. Both also have their denomination in "western" numerals.

I would say this is a medal. Maybe I can find out more tomorrow in our library.

PS: Sometimes numbers are written out as words. This happens for example on some of the East India Company coins. Still... can't recognize anything.

Its a non-denominational Commemorative silver coin issued for the 2500th anniversary of the persian empire depicting Muhammad Reza Shah Pahlavi on Obverse and the cylinder of Cyrus II on reverse...I dont see a denomination. dated 1350/1971

Two types of commemorative coins were minted. The first type (this type) that is the most available one consists of a gold and a silver coin, minted by the National bank of Iran. The gold coin had the portrait of Shah on one side and the cylinder of Cyrus the great on the other side. The size of the gold coin is equal to a 2.5 Pahlavi gold coin. The silver coins were minted in the same size and style. The script on the coin says: "Do hezaaro paansadomin saal-e bonyangozary-e shahanshahi-e Iran" which means the 2500th year of foundation of the empire of Iran. Date of release is 1350 A.H or 1971 A.D.

well im iranian an Drusus is right not a medal but a commemorative coin i cant tell for wat cant read wats written have to ask my dad to read it maybe he can find out. an the yr (1350) is not the hijra yrs (arabic coins from middle east use these an normal yrs eg:- in hijra yrs 1959 =1379 where as in iran yrs 1971/72=1350) iran uses other form of yrs on their coins.

so ya Drusus is 100% right :ninja:

edit:- cofirmed "Do hezaaro paansadomin saal-e bonyangozary-e shahanshahi-e Iran" means "2500th year of foundation of the empire of Iran" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Drusus and roaddevil!

If this is a coin without denomination, how many Rials was it equal to? It is lighter than 50 Rials and heavier than 25 Rials.

There were Tunisian coins in 1945-1955 also without denomination, but equal to 10 and 20 Francs. Is this Iranian coin known to be equal to maybe 35 or 40 Rials?

And last but not least, what might be its market value today?