CoinPeople.com

Storing your currency collection

Mila_cent

i dont have many notes but i put mine in sleeves and i have two bourds carved out in the middle and they bolt together i know its weird but thats how my great grandpa did it when he collected..

dustin

Well for me I started out by locating metal money boxes. I have 1 box for each denomination from $1 thru $100. Inside the box are silica gel packs (rechargeable) and the majority say 60% or more of my notes are graded, the raw notes are in mylar sleeve's. I have them in Series order.

The metal boxes are then stored inside my safe with several boxes of silica gel and my gold, silver and platinum hoard.

There you have it. Any other methods that you guy's use that may present a better measure of protection?

Please advise......

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

I keep mine in a "tupperware" container and cardboard shoebox. I have a few binders that have currency pages in them, but I don't like them.

I use the album method as well, but for my US notes, I place them upside down in a single plastic sleeve, and then that sleeve is inserted upside down (which rights it) and it is then covered in plastic on both both, sides, and bottom 2 times. I am always scared of ruining them, lol.

I think sealing them is a great ideal if you never want to touch them, and for my US stuff, it's true. My non-US notes, I love being able to handle without much worry though, just like coins, it's just something about being able to actually touch them!

Well, I go for the middle of the road I guess. I keep them in one inch binders I got at Office Depot. They are kept in Ultra Pro holders which are archival safe. I had to look for it, but I found a ream of black paper that I use as interleaves between them to aid in the viewing - this helped make it look a lot better.

Here's what they pretty much look like:

53753ja.jpg

5zoiyc0.jpg

5ybwk74.jpg

It seems to work for me pretty well.

Thanks guys,

Very impressive albums. I kinda like the black background, too. Except for not being able to see the notes on both sides, unless it is taken out. I guess with a lot of 'handling' it would't be so good of an idea to remove them from the album as much.

Before inserting them in the album did you also 'seal' them?

Thanks

Mila you don't have to take the notes out. If you use the Ultra pro sheets and place a seperate sheet of black paper between the Ultra Pro pages. It acts as a backdrop so you don't see the notes behind the page you are trying to view.

OOh I see, Thanks Brett.

So it's the black sheet you would take out to see the back of the note. :ninja:

Where would I get these Ultra pro sheets and black paper? Is the black paper the same as construction paper bought in an art supply store? Or a 'special type' of paper?

Again, Thanks for your help.

mila_

Nah, it's like this:

4l7zf3m.jpg

As for where to get the holders, you can try here: Ultra Pro but if you want less than 100 sheets, you can look on Ebay. I got some one and two pocket pages for about 10.00 for about 50 pages mixed. Look around on ebay and compare... some charge WAY too much.

As for the paper - I was going to use construction paper, adn it would work, but the cost was prohibitive and they are thick. My wife actually contacted a local paper store and got a ream of paper like typing/printer paper that is black. It was a little hard to find. She said it was called Paper Zone: Paper Zone Link I am still using the one ream of paper and I have 16 one-inch binders, so it will last if that's what you want to do.

What about the chemicals in these construction papers and plastic windows? anything to note?

Good question Thedeadpoint, and one that I'm sure not too many people even know to consider.

The currency holders I use are archival safe, PVC free, acid free, UV protective, etc. As for the black paper... well, it's paper that's died black. It doesn't run when wet, it doesn't rub off at all, and is just like white paper, except it's black. I really can't worry about it too much because the notes are in their safe little holders, and I doubt that there is much off gassing from the papers ink - Not any more than the ink on the other banknotes anyway. One person was worried earlier about the off-gassing of the plastic binders that hold them. Well, that may be a worry later down the road, but for now, they are pretty well placed in the holders, and I am in my safe on a daily basis with the door open for minutes at a time. Therefore I think that there is enough circulation that any gasses from the plastic binders would be negligible. If it isn't - well, I suppose I'll find out. It's better than the aluminum box I started off with, with the notes just floating around loose inside.

I guess if I had a point I'd say that whatever choice is made for storage, that choice must be able to meet cost, convenience, space, and access requirements. As I hold a civil service position and on a middle class income, and my notes are not worth a whole heck of a lot, for me (and I stress ME here) what I use fits the bill perfectly. If I had notes worth thousands of dollars individually, and I was super worried about them, I might invest in stuff that would be completely archival, binders, paper, holders, safe with circulation system, temperature and humidity controls, have tests performed on all the items in their vicinity to ensure that there is no contamination, etc. etc. etc.

Hm... I see I've been rambling on again. This is what happens when I get going and there's no one to stop me. Almost reads a little terse too; If it is, i didn't mean it. All the above really could've been said with: "Nope, not that I can think of!"

Sorry - I promise to try and be more concise in the future.

A member of this forum, See323 had a great flash show on archival storage of these notes, it was on his site here:

Notepassion.com I cannot currently find the flash show, maybe he can send a link to it.

Hi Scottishmoney.

Been quite busy lately. Did not read some of the posts for a few days now. Here is the link to the flash show - http://www.notepassion.com/Articles/sealing-banknote.htm

I am looking forward to a new country additon for my solid 555555. Quite difficult to find. Make a guess. Hint : Once part of USSR. :ninja:

OOh I see, Thanks Brett.

So it's the black sheet you would take out to see the back of the note. :ninja:

Where would I get these Ultra pro sheets and black paper? Is the black paper the same as construction paper bought in an art supply store? Or a 'special type' of paper?

Again, Thanks for your help.

mila_

I will check for you when I get back from DC with the person i buy my Ultra Pros from. I use to buy a box of 100 pages (100 pages will hold 300 notes) for around $12. I'm not sure if the price has changed any.

Thanks, Dave

Your demostration was very helpful. Cause from where I'm sitting it looked as if the 'black paper' was part of the plastic page and I couldn't figure it out.

Also, from where I am sitting, the black page is placed after each banknote page loosely.

I myself am fussy and I would take that black paper and insert it in a plastic sleeve to keep it in place in the binder

or does this page have holes in them already? I have no interest of buying a hole puncher.

BTW Your "rambling" in not of useless information and I enjoy reading your "ramblings" because it is a lesson that is taught to someone who doesn't know any better, like myself. I and I'm sure others will see it that way.

So Thank you for the 'lesson' it is well appreciated! :ninja:

mila_

The ultra pro pages have holes already in them for them to fit into a standard 3 ring binder. The pages can be bought in different stlyes....the 3 pocket is the one you will use the most. If you have any larger sized notes you may need a few 2 pocket and maybe even a few 1 pocket pages.

I just got a plastic sealer that See talked about off eBay for $27 with shipping, I'm curious to see how well they work with the sleeves I own. I actually only want to seal one note, my unc black eagle, but I think I may use it to seal my non-US notes until I find a better way to store them.

I was thinking about what See mentioned about humidity affecting paper, and how damp my house happens to get. The valley is always more humid than anywhere else around here, I guess it's the stream, but it has a tendancy to yellow things after a few years. I will probably use it to seal some coins as well, we all know what poor conditions can do to them. At the very least I can seal my chips and bread when I'm not munching or making a sandwich, lol.

I'll let you guys know how well it works when it arrives!

I just got a plastic sealer that See talked about off eBay for $27 with shipping, I'm curious to see how well they work with the sleeves I own. I actually only want to seal one note, my unc black eagle, but I think I may use it to seal my non-US notes until I find a better way to store them.

I was thinking about what See mentioned about humidity affecting paper, and how damp my house happens to get. The valley is always more humid than anywhere else around here, I guess it's the stream, but it has a tendancy to yellow things after a few years. I will probably use it to seal some coins as well, we all know what poor conditions can do to them. At the very least I can seal my chips and bread when I'm not munching or making a sandwich, lol.

I'll let you guys know how well it works when it arrives!

It should work very well for you after all I have been using it for the past 20+ years. When you sealed your banknotes in non-oil based plastic, it is suppose to be a vacuum. Make sure the surrounding is dry. I normally seal my notes in an air-conditioned room so that it will be dry. Make sure the the sealed plastic containing the banknote is flat to ensure no air pockets. You get a 100% protection from humidity which causes foxing and dryness which may affect the paper banknotes from becoming brittle. In addition, you get to handle the note without touching it ( our fingers may contained undesirable chemicals, oil etc ) and also some form of backing to prevent the notes from excessive bending.

:ninja:

I got my sealer today, and it works well, it doesn't make as wide a seal as yours, but it is water and air tight. My only problem is trying to get ALL of the air out. See, what is your method for doing this?

Archived