CoinPeople.com

Post your Fractionals!!

Hello Collectors...

I for one am fascinated by truly fine examples of the fractional currency.

Post your best pieces and let's talk about Sec of Treasury for each series.

Who they were, what they did, when they lived and where the went to law school or what milestones they achieved during their terms.

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

Lincoln.jpg

Lincoln_Rev.jpg

Though not a truly fine example of fractional currency, this isn't too bad, really.

4pyyel2.jpg

62sgilt.jpg

William Meredith, the secretary of the Treasury, was a fellow who had experienced some times like the US is in right now. He had fought for the American worker's rights against cheaper foreign labor - then the Europeans. Here's a link: Link.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the post's! Some nice fractionals. I have been trying to look up information on F.E. Spinner and get some Biography on him...seems that there is little info on the net! Anyone have any resources for this Treasure for Abraham Lincoln? :ninja:

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen

Though not a truly fine example of fractional currency, this isn't too bad, really.

4pyyel2.jpg

62sgilt.jpg

William Meredith, the secretary of the Treasury, was a fellow who had experienced some times like the US is in right now. He had fought for the American worker's rights against cheaper foreign labor - then the Europeans. Here's a link: Link.

Dave,

do you also have the 5th issue "Green Seal" Meredith??

I have all but 2 of the 5th issue notes and all but 2 of the 4th issue notes.

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linnen

Dave,

do you also have the 5th issue "Green Seal" Meredith??

I have all but 2 of the 5th issue notes and all but 2 of the 4th issue notes.

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linnen

No, that's the only one I have. I want to try and get some more at a show, but as there are only two shows here a year, I have to wait a while. I go this one at the last show and paid about 2/3 of what I can get it for online. Now, having made a good deal, I am ever waiting for another one. . . and waiting and waiting and waiting.

F.E. Spinner (Francis) 10th Sec of the Treasury

Server Under the "Lincoln Administration"

Some interesting facts of the 10th Sec of Treasury!

Did any of you know this about him?

The job of fighting counterfeiting continued during the Civil War. At that time, the government took over the printing of currency from private banks and printers to standardize the design of the money, which was quickly dubbed "greenbacks." On July 17, 1861, Congress passed the first federal law authorizing the U.S. Government to issue paper money.

At that time, Frances Spinner was serving as Treasurer, under Abraham Lincoln, and he stirred up a great deal of controversy by hiring the first female employees at Treasury. In 1862, he hired Jennie Douglas to cut and trim paper. This was a hand operation that had previously been done entirely by men. Treasurer Spinner was so pleased with his experiment that he remarked, "the first day Miss Douglas spent on the job settled the matter in her behalf and in women's favor." He subsequently appointed many women to positions in the Treasury.

Treasurer Spinner came under a lot of criticism from opponents. The tax collector of Kalamazoo declared, "I do not think the service of females could be made efficient in the collecting department or be brought within the range of propriety."

A New York tax assessor joined in, "if the nerves and firmness of a man can rarely be found to withstand the wily exactions of dishonest taxpayers, I doubt the wisdom of filling their places with females."

The women, however, were not without support. The assessor of Manchester wrote, "female clerks are more attentive, diligent and efficient than males and make better clerks. I intend very soon to have none but females in my office."

Treasurer Spinner declared that the women in the Treasury were "hardworking, efficient, had excellent work habits and integrity." For his innovation and his spirited defense of female employees, the women of New York erected a statue of him in his hometown of Herkimer, New York.

Meanwhile, at the same time that we were taking steps to protect our money by standardizing and printing it at in the basement of the Treasury building, the government was engaged in efforts to destabilize the Confederate currency.

Over the years, the Office of the Treasurer grew and under various reorganizations, reported to various senior executives. By 1921, Secretary Andrew Mellon assigned the Treasurer to report directly to the newly created position of Under Secretary of the Treasury, the second ranking official in the Treasury Department. At the same time, the role of the Treasurer greatly expanded until in the 1940s the Treasurer was reporting to the Fiscal Assistant Secretary. The Treasurer's Office continued to receive and disburse government funds. By the 1970s, the Treasurer's Office had a staff of over 1,000 employees to fulfill these responsibilities.

In a reorganization on February 14, 1974, the Office of the Treasurer was separated from the Fiscal Service and the Treasurer undertook new duties and responsibilities. On July 21, 1974, Francine Neff was sworn in as Treasurer and was the first Treasurer to fill the newly defined position. Her first responsibility was to manage the Treasury-wide bicentennial Program. On January 6, 1975, the Treasurer was also named head of the Savings Bonds Division with the title National Director. Francine Neff was the first Treasurer to hold the position of National Director and to manage a bureau. The new treasurer reported directly to the Undersecretary for Monetary Affairs.

I am still searching for his Biography, if any of you can help I would appreciate it very much. :ninja:

1/2 Cotton 1/2 Linen.

Spinner.jpg

spinner__Rev.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a new member and I have a number of fractionals I have picked up.

This one is a 3rd issue Fr. 1251 graded AU

Jeff

617.jpg

Archived