CoinPeople.com

Southern Rhodesia 1953 crown varieties

sandy3075

I am a newby on the forum although I do collect for quite a while. As a matter of fact the reason I registered is to get some help.

Is anyone familiar with Southern Rhodesia 1953 crown edge inscription varieties beside the two most common with different letter orientation toward obverse and reverse? I have one without a period that reads ... CAMEREALITY .. rather then the usual CAME REALITY. I could not find any references to this specific die variety. Any suggestion or reference will be most appreciated.

• 4 months later...

I don't have any knowledge in this area but I'd be interested in the answer. I hope one of the GB folks comes along soon with some info.

Just had a peek in my Krauss and unfortunatly it only says both types of inscription exist, upright & inverted. Sorry I cant be of more help lovely looking coin though I must try for one to add to the collection :ninja:

I have a high grade version of this coin with me now, though the previous owners handled it by the edge a lot since it has rusted a little.

"OUT OF VISION CAME REALITY * 1853 1953 * OUT..." -Obviously not with the second "...BUT"

There are no periods/dots on this just a star before and after the dates.

What are the different versions of the edge?

• 1 month later...

The one I have there is no space between the "E" in CAME" and "R" in REALITY so it shows as "CAMEREALITY". The other variaty I saw on the eBay had one of the letters running over another. Not sure what process may cause this mint eror but obviously not a very frequent one.

It looks like the crown was first struck then the edge inscription was placed and by the looks of it there was no special order how coins were places, obverse up or reverse up for this process. Both are noted to be equally frequest. Out of my 8 piees three have inscription facing obverse and 4 facing reverse and the last is incapsulated by NGC and they do not identify what variety it is.

Archived