CoinPeople.com

Best way to display coins?

Vfox

It's a shame we're stuck enjoying our hobby from the inside of a bank most of the time. I might do what my dad did for his gun collection and buy one of those HUGE safes for everything so I can access whatever I want whenever I want.

I agree, but I feel bad locking such great works of art away. Although, after thinking about what might happen if I were to "lose" that frame makes me wonder if I should make uniface copies of each note for the purpose instead. (Does that count as illegal if I put copy in 4 pt type in the design somewhere?) From a foot away, nobody would be able to tell, and I would feel much safer, lol. And back to the safe with the good ones. Coins are the only thing I wouldn't want reproductions in a 2D format, so my notes would be the only thing I would do that with.

• 2 weeks later...
It's a shame we're stuck enjoying our hobby from the inside of a bank most of the time. I might do what my dad did for his gun collection and buy one of those HUGE safes for everything so I can access whatever I want whenever I want.

Obviously not in the Chicago area. Our criminals are pretty good at removing anything you can come up with to stop them. Some actually go to schools to learn things like locksmithing, auto alarms, etc so they can borrow your stuff regardless of how you protect it.

Cute story was a neighbor of mine had such a hugh safe in his house. While on vacation a moving van pulled up, with proper equipment they removed that safe. Took time to tell nosey neighbors that the family had decided to move. As usual in this area no one could remember the movers, the truck, license numbers or nothing. Where there is a will there is a way.

Best thing is just not tell anyone or show anyone anything.

Bleh.

I guess I'll invest in one of those secret compartment things, and then bolt the darned safe to the floor.

And get some security cameras.

Best thing is just not tell anyone or show anyone anything.

Then what's the point of collecting for you? I mean if I wasn't able to share stories about my collection with freinds and family, dealers, and co-workers, along with people online, I would venture to say it would be very boring. Think about it, if you never speak to anyone about what you have, then it would be a very lonely interest.

Then what's the point of collecting for you? I mean if I wasn't able to share stories about my collection with freinds and family, dealers, and co-workers, along with people online, I would venture to say it would be very boring. Think about it, if you never speak to anyone about what you have, then it would be a very lonely interest.

Not really. I take great pleasure in just looking at my hobbies. Even my son has no idea about coins so although he knows they are there, he could care less and if I want to show him any, he just says some other day. Same with his wife. I also collect other things that also can not be displayed due to the area I live. One person I USED to know collected guns and was really proud of his collection so he bragged about it alot. He even carried pictures of some of his favorites. He must have over bragged because his collection vanished and he is now deceased due to that.

I've read somewhere that if it was made into law that you could not brag about your vacationss or hobbies that most people would not go anywhere for a vacation and would not collect anything. Probably true to the majority but when you get really old just having a hobby can keep you busy and alive.

"Trust in God, but tie your camel"

Get the safe and brag only to those you trust who won't pass on your secrets. Like syzygy I have found the joy of digital photography and the internet to be a wonderful extension of my favorite hobby. In the end you can't totally protect your possessions against those who would take them from you; but you can certainly make it tough on them.

Oh yeah, I live about 75 feet from the city police station... :ninja:

I live in the boons, and nobody around here cares other than my coin dealer and one friend who is getting ready to be a dealer, lol. I love coins, and talking about them, but bragging isn't something I'm inclined to do around anyone but my most trusted of friends. And most of them just roll thier eyes at me, lol. :ninja: For the most part, I am most active with my collection on the internet, pics, stories, research, and chatting, that's why I like this place so much, it's a nice and safe place to chitchat about things worth more than most want to admit. ;)

Archived