CoinPeople.com

Best way to display coins?

Vfox

So I was wondering, what is the best way to display coins and currency? I can't remember if anyone did this topic before, but I was too lazy to go dig for it, lol. Anyway, I have a few ideas of how I want to display my expensive, and my cheap stuff. As well as how to work with existing themes in rooms.

For the more expensive items I've wanted to get a nice glass case to display them in, in my home, but I can't seem to find something I think would be safe enough to leave out in the open. I am looking for something that is really hard to break open, and is too big/heavy/bolted to move. Setting out cheaper stuff, like non-us notes and coins is no biggy for your average walmart display case, but I wanted something secure and something that looks nice. (And also is lit and rotates if possible) Does anyone know if anything like that is available?

Otherwise I am going to take my cheaper stuff and get a nice sheet of glass to place over them on the coffee table. I've seen this done before, and it really looks nice, and you can have a theme that goes with the livingroom as well. Our living room is French, Asian, and African themed. (Thanks to my father-in-law being stationed at different spots around the world years ago) So I think I can make a nice colorful fan of currency surrounded by a circle of coins. Sounds nice eh?

So what do you guys do? Do you display items, or do you keep them hidden and safe from prying eyes?

sadly because I fear thieves, I do not display coins in my home and keep them safely locked away. I only display them on the internet or to people who express and interest that I trust.

I DO have a counterfeit Domitian sestersius hanging on my wall in a small circular frame...It had a nice portrait so I figured it was at least worthy of decoration. I also have a few Chinese cash coins framed and on the wall as well as poster that depicts a coin of every roman emperor as well as usurpers...I loaned some of my ancients to a few history teachers I know and have a small slideshow of emperors showing busts and coins I have given to people to use....I have donated old roman coins that are not good enough for my collection here:

http://ancientcoinsforeducation.org/

But as for my collection, I also could not think of a way (that wasn't expensive and complicated) to display them safely. So I lock them away.

I've often been tempted but have never really used coins in decorations in the house. Mostly they clutter my desk or sit in Danscos or boxes on my bookshelves. I have four small frames with coins and stamps on the wall in my office. It's a set that I got from Shell oil way back in the 60s. My wife hates them but since it's in my office she puts up with it.

I would love to see a picture of that coffee table!

As for display ideas, the best I have is getting a bunch of those velvet-lined trays with plastic tops and putting them in a run-of-the-mill display case and just putting the trays away when you're away or asleep. I'm way too paranoid to display things permanently.

Or, you could do like in the movies:

Have you seen fish tanks mounted into walls? Do that with a display case and then hang a picture over it to keep it safe. If I build a house, I'm DEFINITELY doing that. It wouldn't be hard to buy a couple panels of bullet-proof glass/plastic, right? :ninja:

There is a large variety of methods to display coins in your home. Mostly it all depends on where you live and how much your willing to spend and to what extent you want to display them.

Now for instance in the area I live any display of coins or money of any kind in the open makes it so there is no second chance to display them. They vanish. Usually at the end of a gun.

Now if your in the large minority of people that live in an area where there is no crime then just make your own type of display case. For example you could place coins on a large sheet of plastic and pour more liquid plastic over that. I think they call that decopage or something. When dry you could hang it like a picture. I've made pen holders and letter openers like that. You could look for a coffee table with a glass top and a shelf inside. I've seen them somewhere. Then put your coins in an Album, Whitman or Dansco, tear the pages out and lay them all in the coffee table. Of course you could make wall shelves and just put Album pages on that opened to where you would like them.

The main thing is if you display anything worth stealing, it will be eventually stolen. It may not be the people that see those but as they tell others and the story expands, and they always do, you may be surprized by some unknown visitors.

The best place to display your coins is in a vault, safe, locked cabinet, etc.

The wife and I made a compromise about the previous idea I had with the coffee table. Ours just happened to have two glass plates covering a wicker area, and I figured it would do. Anyway, she said I could display my non-US currency (not coins) as long as she is able to place them into a pattern she liked.

Well this is the result, I kinda like it, gives the room a bump of color for sure.

6g9bho0.jpg

What do you guys think? More organized? Less color? More color? Different sizes? Different countries? Same countries?

When I move out of my apartment and have an actual "office", I plan to decorate the walls using my collection. They'll be framed like a painting but in groups. One being all Morgans, all Lincolns, etc. Great conversation pieces.

There will be extra security measures as well. Thieves won't be able to just walk in the room.

Currently I have a 4 tiered wood/glass display case (formerly used for storing DVD's) as a display case. I only put the slabs in there as coins raw or in 2x2's get lost or are distracting.

Vfox writes:

The wife and I made a compromise about the previous idea I had with the coffee table. Ours just happened to have two glass plates covering a wicker area, and I figured it would do. Anyway, she said I could display my non-US currency (not coins) as long as she is able to place them into a pattern she liked.

Well this is the result, I kinda like it, gives the room a bump of color for sure.

Your wife did a nice job -- but do you guys actually rest mugs and cups on top of those???

Your wife did a nice job -- but do you guys actually rest mugs and cups on top of those???

Thanks tommyd, and yes, we do. Every note is under the glass, and that glass rests ontop of a rim which leaves a 1/4 gap between the glass and notes. In the event of a spill, the liquid will run along the rim, and stop, of course a large amount poses the possibility of leakage onto the notes, but I am not too concerned. Besides, every note under the glass is cheap, most had for less than a dollar. I think the only expensive one was the 60 baht in the middle left, and the two old russian notes and on the right, the provisional mexican notes....and they were all under $6 each. So basically if they do get wet, or stained, no biggy as they are easily replaced, can't say the same if I did US currency though, lol.

The coffee table looks fantastic.

Up next? Wallpaper?!?!?!

If I can get enough, you can be sure at least one wall in my den (which is the only room I'll be allowed to display in, lol) will be plastered with this stuff. :ninja:

Here is what I use to display coins on my wall. These are of some old Colonial coins & paper money (sorry for the bad pic):

IMG_2337.jpg

and another pic of some older coins:

IMG_2338.jpg

---here is where I have purchased my cases:

---"COIN CASES"---

....I put enough foam rubber in the case (behind the glass) so when I close the glass lid, the glass presses gently against the coins to hold them in place....I put black velvet over the foam rubber (as seen in the pics)

....hope that gives another idea!!!

Very nice display okrecer03, I've often thought of displaying americana sets like that. I love the mix of paper and coinage though! Very nice!

Very nice displays. The shadowboxes certainly make an attractive wall hanging and you've done a great job on the arrangement. :ninja:;);)

umm u could take a close up pc of your nice coins and frame them lol then if someone would steal it the jokes on them!! :ninja:

Not sure if that was a joke but I think that is a great idea. I really like that. could lay out coins, take photos of each, use photo program to put them all in setting, take the computer file to a place that prints out 24"x36" and make myself a great framed item. Like I said, not a bad idea at all.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not coins on display, but notes once again, this is the latest thing I've convinced my lady to let me keep in the house, lol. Us $1 typeset from 1899-current. I will be taking the large red seal out, and replacing it with the 1918 green eagle I am missing, once I finally get one. Otherwise, this is how it looks.

*EDIT* I just noticed I have the small sized US note out of order. (Goes and changes it's position)

4kmsi2h.jpg

Nope, but then again, I might put a reverse funny back and regular into it and take out the US note, and the green seal FRN, or one of the SC's.

The vast majority of my collection is safely displayed in the interior of my safe deposit boxes! I really don't display much, mainly for the value and the fact that you can't easily display both sides! I do have a collage of cut up large denomination US currency that was simply printed on a color printer from the BEP site so the greatest value there is the frame! I do have several stock certificates and an old gold bond from the early 20th century in frames in my office, but for those, the value is negligible and the backs are ugly! So framing works great!

Archived