CoinPeople.com

1945 U.S. Mint question

corkykile

Okay all you gals and guys out there. I tried to post this before but it got lost in cyberspace...

Does anyone know what coins were minted at Philadelphia in 1945?

Were there other than U.S. coins minted?

I have a 1945p business uncirculated penny that has major ghosts on both sides.

Although the ghosts could be other U.S. coins, the image is much bigger behind the Lincoln and wheat ears side than any of the other U.S. coins to which I can compare it.

I sure wish I could get this to show well by scanning, and I am still working on getting a digital camera with appropriate macro lens capability. The image does not show very well without a 10x loupe.

Comments please?

Thanks, :ninja:

CK

Jos sent me some 1944 belgian coins that were minted at the US mint on old 1943 steel cent planchets. For all I know, they may have continued minting Belgian coins in 1945. Others will know much more readily than I do.

Jos sent me some 1944 belgian coins that were minted at the US mint on old 1943 steel cent planchets. For all I know, they may have continued minting Belgian coins in 1945. Others will know much more readily than I do.

Thank you. I will check them out on the net.

CK

hmmmm sounds like a neat one.... hopefully you can get a good pic of it... id like to see it

Thanks a bunch.

I checked out the minterror site and the information was great.

Since then I have been checking all the coin sites for the ones which seem the most likely from their list.

So far I have gotten through all the Netherland East Indies while searching on the net, and no matches.

One down and a few dozen to go countries to go... aarrghh!!

CK

I think I got it.

Check to the mid area behind Lincolns head. There is an O and a backward N.

Look south a little farther and at the base of Lincoln's hairline begins an outward curve than looks like a very large C, or part of a very large 0/O which goes through the ty of Liberty and ends at the jacket.

Check under Lincolns neck where his beard meets his neck and you can see a line that is raised and extends south to the top right side of his bowtie.

Now I am going to try to post the reverse of this coin.

Comments?

CK

It would probably help to take it out of the flip. Also you might take a few shots at different angles and lights at different angles. May show the markings better. Set up a account at Photobucket Its pretty easy to post a link from there.

Okay, looks like thats the same place. Copied in tinypic.com and it turns up photobucket.

Got a new digital camera today and will try to get these pictures taken and posted.

In the meantime I have discovered more ghosts on the obverse side and reverse sides of this penny.

I just know that if I could get this coin photographed at a higher magnification and better resolution the ghosts will probably pop right out and make themselves known.

There are more ghost letters to the right of Lincolns face, near the forehead, that appear to be c v or c w.

Then under his chin is a large number one. There is yet another shadow under that one that is horizontal to the one above, and looks like it ends with a star just at the number one in 1945.

The west side of the reverse appears to have an outline of profile looking east. The east side of the reverse seems to the profile facing west.

Now, is it possible for a strike to show two profiles of subjects facing each other? I am going to search for more photos on the net.

The more I look at the coin the more I see. Perhaps I should take it to a professional coin photographer.

I will check with the coin dealer in the town south of us.

Thanks,

CK

Archived