CoinPeople.com

Fakes... fakes... more fakes...

WCO

Interesting enough that when I contacted the seller directly via EBay, he was very polite and cooperative . After brief email exchange I was able to convience him that the coin listed was of a questionable origin. Has anyone dealt with the guy before ?

I don't know him and have never done business with him. However, your description of your interaction with him and his action in canceling the sale suggest that he is a reasonable and honest seller who just happened to have a bad coin, and that he acted responsibly when that concern was brought to his attention.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know him and have never done business with him. However, your description of your interaction with him and his action in canceling the sale suggest that he is a reasonable and honest seller who just happened to have a bad coin, and that he acted responsibly when that concern was brought to his attention.

That was exactly how I felt.

This listing was taken off Ebay as well.

Oldman, I wonder if your original contact with this seller had anything to do with it. The original listing that you posted was:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280134152005

and I noticed that the high bidder, Skyhunter72, never left nor received a feedback from the seller, davitt. I wonder if anyone contacted Skyhunter72 to alert him that he may have purchased a fake? :ninja:

This listing was taken off Ebay as well.

Oldman, I wonder if your original contact with this seller had anything to do with it. The original listing that you posted was:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280134152005

and I noticed that the high bidder, Skyhunter72, never left nor received a feedback from the seller, davitt. I wonder if anyone contacted Skyhunter72 to alert him that he may have purchased a fake? :ninja:

I did contact the seller "davitt" when he posted his first "set of fakes". He was not very cooperative and I had to notify other parties. BTW, these two "coins" are back on EBAY ! Just amazing !

• 2 weeks later...
Another obvious and....very familiar fake (cast copy):

EBAY Item#280143339893

I fixed the link for you ... ;)

Is mine also a fake? I must have paid about $20 for it a couple of years ago:

My 1794-AM pyatak

There is a rare novodel of this year and mintmark, but the regular issue is fairly common. Why would anyone want to fake it? :ninja:

Another obvious and....very familiar fake (cast copy):

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIA-COPPER-5-KOPEKS...1QQcmdZViewItem

EBAY Item#280143339893

Not too fast on that one... I dont have the '94, but i have a '93 and a '90 both UNC, and they are very sharp strikes, looking much like that '94. Very high relief. Is it the color that makes you suspect, Oldman?

Link not working, Xaxol. Please hit history and then "back to description" to get the proper working url.

Please everyone, just a kind reminder, before you start screaming fake coins from ebay, please kindly note that while it is good to identify what is fake from genuine coins (in fact I do encourage it as it is a good form of study - I'm studying it hard), if you DO misidentify genuine coins as fakes, sellers do have the full right to sue this forum and this forum will shut down! This threat has occured in cointalk and unfortunately it can happen in here. I don't believe Anton should be reliable for all the talks that is going on here.

What I propose is that when posting a link, please kindly explain why do you think it is as well as where the problem is. So far, most cases are positive. :ninja: Thanks!

My 1794-AM pyatak

There is a rare novodel of this year and mintmark, but the regular issue is fairly common. Why would anyone want to fake it? :ninja:

My mistake ... the rare novodel is 1794-KM, and this is AM.

The main difference, except for grade, between this piece and mine seems to be the placement of the last digit "4" in the year. However, such variations are very common for this type of coin.

It looks OK to me.

Not too fast on that one... I dont have the '94, but i have a '93 and a '90 both UNC, and they are very sharp strikes, looking much like that '94. Very high relief. Is it the color that makes you suspect, Oldman?

Not only the color....The coin is fake.

Not only the color....The coin is fake.

It doesn't help us much when someone says: "This coin is fake" without saying why you believe it is fake. Apparently, I'm not the only one here who doesn't think it is obvious. I've said why I believe it is probably not a fake, so I'd like to know why you think otherwise.

It doesn't help us much when someone says: "This coin is fake" without saying why you believe it is fake. Apparently, I'm not the only one here who doesn't think it is obvious. I've said why I believe it is probably not a fake, so I'd like to know why you think otherwise.

1. All letters and numbers look like double-strike production

2. Color of the coin - recent copper cast copies have this coloring

3. AM "piataks" are known fake-target for several years. The dies I saw match this one 100%

4. ....ask for the rim's scan :-)

Trully yours....

1. All letters and numbers look like double-strike production

2. Color of the coin - recent copper cast copies have this coloring

3. AM "piataks" are known fake-target for several years. The dies I saw match this one 100%

4. ....ask for the rim's scan :-)

Truly yours....

Здравствуй, старик -- и большое спасибо за объяснение!

I had a second look at this one, and I must say that the lettering of "ПЯТЬ КОПЂЕКЪ" doesn't look like it should. However, that would not necessarily mean that it isn't genuine ... As to the edge, do you imply that there would be a telltale casting mark/line parallel to the edge of the coin down the middle of the net pattern?

I had a second look at this one, and I must say that the lettering of "ПЯТЬ КОПЂЕК" doesn't look like it should. However, that would not necessarily mean that it isn't genuine ... As to the edge, do you imply that there would be a telltale casting mark/line parallel to the edge of the coin down the middle of the net pattern?

Yes, you should be able to see the casting edge mark.

• 1 month later...
Nice Russian gold:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZolimpdana

Regards,

WCO

Thanks for the link as I missed these. The 1762 and 1766 gold coins are definite fakes. The 1766 ducat is the

first I have seen but the 1762 of Peter III was published in the Russian Numismatic Society Journal 84,

summer 2007.

The Dutch ducat is likely also bad.

RWJ

Archived