CoinPeople.com

Fakes... fakes... more fakes...

WCO

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you WCO and p911 for great information. That should keep me buisy for quite some time. :ninja:

And thank you Scottishmoney for the explanation. When one does not have enough experience, it's hard to know if what one sees is actually what one is supposed to see as the problem with a particular coin, and it's great to have someone who knows confirm one's suspicion. ;)

Older people than yourself have eBay accounts and are far less mature. :ninja:

m just too leary of people on ebay i might get an account but ill only bid on things lower than 5$ ;)

• 3 weeks later...

1725hl8.jpg

I don't know. :ninja: I don't see anything that screams "FAKE!" at me, but the forgers are getting better all the time. ;)

It looks like an unusually nice example and I think it might even be real. ;)

1725hl8.jpg

I don't know. :ninja: I don't see anything that screams "FAKE!" at me, but the forgers are getting better all the time. ;)

It looks like an unusually nice example and I think it might even be real. ;)

Someone sure paid some genuine money for it.... $3K and change.

Is that about right based on recent big auctions?

Someone sure paid some genuine money for it.... $3K and change.

Is that about right based on recent big auctions?

Here's one that looks not quite as nice as the ebay coin and which brought somewhat less.

Here's another one which looks nicer than the ebay coin and brought significantly more.

Both are recent auction results.

If it is real, then the ebay buyer probably got a good deal (but this is an ebay offering, so some healthy skepticism is in order).

Thanks for looking that up, Grivna.

I also dont see anything obvious about that Sun Rouble. Looks like a nice coin.

The seller seems to be a dealer, so there would hopefuly be return if unhappy privelage, but buying based on a photo on ebay is always a risk.

Im just kicking myself for not buying one of about the same grade and type, for $400, back in the 90's.

That is a beautiful coin.

But why would anyone deliberately mark it in black ink (figure 8 on the reverse)? Wouldn't that affect the value? :ninja:

It was probably done a long time ago. Some prominent Russian collectors even had their own countermarks, or "brands", that they actually embossed on coins to designate their ownership (read about this in Uzdenikov, 2nd edition, page 659). Although there were a few important collections which might impart added value to a coin with such a stamp, it is obviously a pratice which is highly discouraged today (for the very reason you mention).

This particular auction also offered a 1877 poltina with some Japanese (???) character(s) written in red ink on it ... it was part of lot 499. The catalog says it was 1876 with red ink, but it was actually 1877 (and there was also an 1876 poltina in lot 499 WITHOUT red ink, but condition only VF or so ... there was a better 1876 poltina sold individually as a separate lot in that auction).

That is a beautiful coin.

But why would anyone deliberately mark it in black ink (figure 8 on the reverse)? Wouldn't that affect the value? :ninja:

Russian coins are occasionally encountered with things written on them using permanent ink by collectors and/or museums in the past.

Here is an 1836 1½ roubles coin which also bears inked markings.

10zlot1836sei5.jpg

Russian coins are occasionally encountered with things written on them using permanent ink by collectors and/or museums in the past.

Here is an 1836 1½ roubles coin which also bears inked markings.

10zlot1836sei5.jpg

Hey Grivna

Do you know the best way to get something written in permeate marker off. Somebody at work used a permanent marker on a whiteboard once and people were trying to rub in off to no avail.

Then somebody else showed me a trick. You write over the permeate marker writing with a normal whiteboard marker then when you wipe it the writing comes off (you could probably dab it off with cotton wool).

Not saying you should try this on a coin but it definitely works.

ya it does i do it at school sometimes when some1 writes with permanent marker we rub it off by writing over it with a normal marker (i have experience cause i write on tables with markers ;)) don know bout coins try it out on a normal crappy coin u dont want first :ninja:

Archived