CoinPeople.com

Polymer Banknote Sources?

Mila_cent

Here's the post that started this subject. Sorry I forgot to move it when I split the thread.

Hi Guys,

My collecting passion has been coins and never really payed much attention to banknotes.

I recently received my first polymer banknote from a employee of my landlord who's country is Nigeria. He gave me a 20 naira. amoung two others that were of 'paper'.

I've also discovered the thread 'Banknote Forum' here and was looking at all your banknotes.

They are absolutely beautiful ! ! !

My attention was drawn the the 20 naira because it was 'shiny', 'plastic like' as well as 'colorful'. From my research I found these notes to be the polymer banknotes and found many other countries have changed to these type of notes. And I fell in love ! They are the most beautiful design I have ever seen, so now I am hooked and I want them all !

My goal is to collect each denonmination of all countries that has these polymer banknotes.

I really don't want to go the ebay/auction way. Maybe a dealer?

My question to you is where can I find these 'polymer notes' at a reasonable price?

Thanks for your help.

Vfox,

Thank you. I am in NYC. I am not interested in bulk I'm just looking for one of each (lower )denomination, I doubt I would be able to afford the larger - 100's and up. I am not familiar with 'bank exchange'.

If I was to find/ go to a bank (in lower Manhattan) would they exchange US banknotes for foreign notes? Would it be so easy? Do you know of any banks in the city that does this?

Again Thanks

Maybe I should have created a new thread for this. Sorry. If a moderator could do it would appreciate it.

This is a bit off topic, but as long as we don't stay just on this, and return to our banknote purchases we should be fine.

Banks will not carry foreign currency or coins of any sort on purpose, they only get the occasional Canadian coins now and then. You will have to use a dealer, ebay, or someone on here to be able to purchase what you want. Also, don't be afraid of purchasing higher denomination notes, exchange rates are funny like that. A 200,000 Dong note from Vietnam is really only worth about $13 US in exchange, granted you may have to pay more than that from a dealer.

Check out http://www.xe.com/ucc it's a free and up to date currency exchange rate converter.

Live rates at 2007.06.12 05:47:16 UTC

200,000.00 VND = 12.4224 USD

Vietnam Dong United States Dollars

1 VND = 0.0000621118 USD 1 USD = 16,100.00 VND

Good luck on your quest, keep us posted Mila_cent.

Go to a currency exchange place, like Thomas Cook. You'll get them at just over face value, and they'll all be current. I lived in Australia for 4 years and found that even the circulated polymer notes were in great shape, especially when compared to paper notes.

Go to a currency exchange place, like Thomas Cook. You'll get them at just over face value, and they'll all be current. I lived in Australia for 4 years and found that even the circulated polymer notes were in great shape, especially when compared to paper notes.

Is there a place in the US that does currency exchange like that?

no problemo! :ninja: almost every dealer i've seen charges twice face value for uncirculated, but i i find it easier to go through them, especially if it's just going to cost a few bucks.

i've been to several currency exchanges in california, and my experiences were more or less the same. i had to spend a minimum of $20 per country, each country was a "transaction" and i had to pay $5.00 per transaction, only 13 major currencies were on hand, and none of the notes were uncirculated except for a few high denomination canadian notes.

hotel front desks might be a better place to pick up foreign notes at face, since they don't have minimums or fees. never know what you're gonna get...sorta like asking banks for halves/dollars.

Archived