CoinPeople.com

Liberty Dollar

Mila_cent

the design is okay...concept is completely flawed. Trying to value a bullion 'bartering' token to US currency and minting a dollar amount on the coin just causes head aches...not only are you NOT going to be able to spend it most places...but as metal prices and money fluctuate , so will the worth of the metal in the coin, they have a plan...for a FEE you send the token back in and they remint...Its a cool little novelty though...they should just mint it as bullion but then that defeats what they are supposedly trying to do which is be an alternative currency...what I think they are REALLY trying to do is make a some real fed buck by selling bullion :ninja:

Okay, I just read the link. So sue me! :ninja:

An interesting idea, competing with the feds. I think it would be pretty cool to circulate silver and gold again (I'd never spend it, just keep what came to me), but you're right, how this guy's going about it is totally impractical. Not that some other random person would do it better, but what would keep McDonalds from accepting (if this DID catch on) a fed $1 and this guy's backed $1 for the same cheeseburger? People won't be able to see a difference; a dollar is a dollar. If the whole idea of this guy's dollars are to be worth more than the currently existing dollars, then every price table everywhere would need to be converted also into these new dollars. It's unfortunate that he's spending so much money and effort to this lost cause. Maybe he's just trying to get the fed's attention and make them work a little harder, but don't think even THAT will happen.

see link in post #3 in this thread

yeah, they have been around for a bit...they sued the gov...etc...they used to be called NORFED...dont know why they changed that name....They are, IMO, just a compnay trying to sell tokens :ninja:

I really like the obverse, personally I think that Liberty should be on your coins rather than Presidents, in fact I personally think it's time for a redesign for the whole set, seriously. they have been the same for so long, some for over 50 years that I do find US currency rather dull, except fro pre president coins & Half Dollars, great reverse although I would have liberty on the front personally.

*Awaits backlash from fellow forum members* :ninja:

Actually, the back would work better without all of that writing

I really like the obverse, personally I think that Liberty should be on your coins rather than Presidents, in fact I personally think it's time for a redesign for the whole set, seriously. they have been the same for so long, some for over 50 years that I do find US currency rather dull, except fro pre president coins & Half Dollars, great reverse although I would have liberty on the front personally.

*Awaits backlash from fellow forum members* :ninja:

Actually, the back would work better without all of that writing

says the guy whose nation has had a portrait of one lady on their coin for the last how many years? ;) I kid...but really....

says the guy whose nation has had a portrait of one lady on their coin for the last how many years? ;) I kid...but really....

I know but the reverse at least changes every so often (Twice in QEII's reign - 1953 & 1968-1971), rumour has it that 2008 will be when the new designs will be introduced, 40 years after the original 5 & 10p coins were introduced:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6589171.stm

From above article:

...The Royal Mint disagrees the coins days are numbered - as its re-design plans demonstrate.

and

"It's good because you can recognise it straight away and it's got enough detail to make it difficult to forge - not that anyone would probably ever want to waste their time making fake pennies!"

The existing design won't vanish overnight when the re-vamped penny is introduced with what the mint promises will be a design reflecting "modern Britain."

Only once it is unveiled to the public, later this year, will we know whether it will put the shine back on the face of the most humble of coins.

Can't wait to see the new designs (1p-50p) as long as the new designs are not along the same lines as the London 2012 logo ;):ninja:

If they really wanted to prove a point they should take this idea to a smaller country, like the Cayman Islands and have their central bank re-define their currency in terms of silver or gold. That way, if the Cayman $ was always 1/4 ounce of silver, then it would now be worth $3.25 US. If silver fell to $10 it would be worth $2.50, if silver went to $50, it would be worth $12.50. The way the liberty folks are doing it is just wrong, since they advocate a metal based currency with their private barter currency, and then they proceed to tie that barter currency to the debased fednotes they are trying to protest! The one-ounce silver used to have a $10 face value, now it's $20, in two years it will be $50, and to most folks that just makes no sense and in fact makes them just as guilty of debasement as the Feds. The plan I've heard about that makes some sense is the one in Mexico, where Libertads would circulate as 1-ounce of silver, but that the banks would post an official exchange rate every day in fiat pesos, so no need to revalue, and you get parallel circulation.

Thanks for your comments guys.

I did purchase the $20 silver sample and the copper sample as a keepsake. I have no intention of using them as a payment for a purchase of any kind.

I just thought it was cool to add this type of coin/token to my collection.

The $20 silver coin is about the size of a Morgan dollar and it is 31.1g (1.100oz) silver. However it is a bit thicker and heavier then the Morgan. From what I have read the Cooper Liberty (pictures above) is about the same size as the $20 silver version. Haven't gotten or seen it in person yet since they are on backorder.

If they really wanted to prove a point they should take this idea to a smaller country, like the Cayman Islands and have their central bank re-define their currency in terms of silver or gold. That way, if the Cayman $ was always 1/4 ounce of silver, then it would now be worth $3.25 US. If silver fell to $10 it would be worth $2.50, if silver went to $50, it would be worth $12.50. The way the liberty folks are doing it is just wrong, since they advocate a metal based currency with their private barter currency, and then they proceed to tie that barter currency to the debased fednotes they are trying to protest! The one-ounce silver used to have a $10 face value, now it's $20, in two years it will be $50, and to most folks that just makes no sense and in fact makes them just as guilty of debasement as the Feds. The plan I've heard about that makes some sense is the one in Mexico, where Libertads would circulate as 1-ounce of silver, but that the banks would post an official exchange rate every day in fiat pesos, so no need to revalue, and you get parallel circulation.

My thought exactly. They issue a coin, then devalue it because silver went up in value. A la the USA government.

In some countries, in Iran in particular, the Gold Azadi by the Republic circulates as a medium of exchange with a variable value based on the price of gold that day. Malaysia recently issued a gold Dinar coin that functions similarly. Here is one issued by the State of Kelantan:

Sukudinarkelantan.jpg

Archived