CoinPeople.com

Nice Haul(s) at a local Coin Fair

Bluesfil

Thanks for that Grivna - just adding the last few.

It was a good day, all cheap and I will attend to those that are showing verdigris when I get the chance

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1879Obv20Kopek.jpg

1879Rev20Kopecks.jpg

1880Obv20KopekHO.jpg

1880Rev20Kopek.jpg

The majority of the coins I paid 3, 4 or 5 dollars Australian - the 1855 was 14 dollars, while the 1925 and 26 50 Kopeks were 14 dollars.

Given that I have a very limited access to Russian coins locally, I buy what I like to study the coins and become familiar the features of different types.

Getting hold of the two catalogues from Thomas Hoiland's Russia 1 and 2 has made a huge difference and truly blown me away with the amount of overstruck issues.

Given that my main area of collecting up to now has been Australian errors and varieties plus pre decimals - this is complementary

Bluesfil, congradulations. The 2 kopek seems to be of 1757 2 kopeks (upper denomination - which I found it harder to obtain) overtruck most probably on 1755 SPB 1k. Damn lucky I guess ;)

Funny enough, I was in Canberra a few days ago and there weren't any decent Russian coins with the dealers there. I just assumed that you got the best haul :ninja:

I mainly pick them up through two dealers who don't have shops - they do the Coin shows and Fairs.

One coin I did spot that I am going to buy if he still has it next month was a 1913 Finnish 20 Marka in gold. Lovely coin in EF.

There was a bit of Russian gold there but both dealers said that in the last 6 months the demand for Russian gold has been extremely strong and as soon as they put it out on display it gets snapped up.

Next time you are in Canberra or are coming down, drop me a line if you want and we can meet for a coffee or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Fair again on 1July but the pickin's were lean - most of the dealers stock had been snapped up by one collector in Melbourne

But I did pick up a few more

1897 50 Kopek star Y58.1

Obv

1897FiftyKStarObv.jpg

Rev

1897FiftyKStarRev.jpg

1840 EM Kopek KM144.1 - nice coin needs some care

Obv

1840KopeckEMObv.jpg

Rev

1840KopekEMRev.jpg

Wire Kopek Mikhail Feodorovich 1613-1645

Image Mounted Horseman

WireKopekMikhailFeodorovich.jpg

Legend

WireKopekMikhailFeodorovichLegend.jpg

1767 5 kopek another nice coin that needs some care - possibly an overstrike again, I need to have a better look

Obv

1767FiveKObverse.jpg

Rev

1767FiveKreverse.jpg

1748 Denga

Obv

1748DengaObv.jpg

Rev

1748DengaRev.jpg

1767 Five Kopeck from above - lightly cleaned to protect the coin - had some verdigris starting in the cross hatching of the rim. The large amount of grime and what appeared to be rust of some type lifted easily

Quite a nice coin - probably grade around fine

Obv

1767FiveKObversePic2.jpg

Rev

1767FiveKreversePic2.jpg

The 1840 EM Kopek came up nice after I took it out of the 2x2 that appeared to be about 10 or more yrs old

Obv

1840KopeckEMObvPic2.jpg

Rev

1840KopekEMRevPic2.jpg

Another Wire Kopek

WireKopekLegend.jpg

wireKopekHorseman.jpg

1790 Five Kopeks

1790fiveKopekObv.jpg

1790FiveKopekRev.jpg

1899 Half Kopek

1899halfKopekObv.jpg