CoinPeople.com

First Modern Commem to sell out?

Rabone

Will the U.S. Marine Corp Commem be the first modern commem to sell out?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will the U.S. Marine Corp Commem be the first modern commem to sell out?

• Yes?
    • No?

The U.S. Mint is about to start taking order for the Marine Corps Commem. Will it be the first modern commem to actually sell out by selling all 600,000 authorized strikes?

Second, if you said yes that it would sell out, do you plan on purchasing any of the 4 different types of issues on this commem? The Proof, the Uncirculated, the Uncirculated Coin/Stamp combination, and finally the American Legacy Collection which contains Proof versions of the Marine Corps commem, the Chief Justice John Marshall commem, and all 10 circulating coins.

I plan on buying this coin in several of the sets it is being offered in. I believe this does have the potential of being the first to actually sell all 600,000 authorized strikes.

The U.S. Mint is about to start taking order for the Marine Corps Commem. Will it be the first modern commem to actually sell out by selling all 600,000 authorized strikes?

Second, if you said yes that it would sell out, do you plan on purchasing any of the 4 different types of issues on this commem? The Proof, the Uncirculated, the Uncirculated Coin/Stamp combination, and finally the American Legacy Collection which contains Proof versions of the Marine Corps commem, the Chief Justice John Marshall commem, and all 10 circulating coins.

I don't understand the question. If you're referring to selling out the 600,000 authorized strikes, yes, they will. Marines are extremely loyal to the Corps. But is the question is about sell-out in general? In June 2001, the Buffalo DOllar sold out in a couple of weeks (days?).

Regardless, I don't have any intention of purchasing any of these.

Jerry

I don't understand the question.  If you're referring to selling out the 600,000 authorized strikes, yes, they will.  Marines are extremely loyal to the Corps.  But is the question is about sell-out in general?  In June 2001, the Buffalo DOllar sold out in a couple of weeks (days?).

Regardless, I don't have any intention of purchasing any of these.

Jerry

JDen-

According to what I have read, from current articles to statistical books, while each group who had a commemorative coin made in their honor thought their commemorative would sell all the authorized strikes, in actuality they did not. Many moderns went back to the melting rooms.

Modern commemoratives have been restricted to 500,000 strikes, but Treasury Secretary is allowed to increase the total number, which John Snow did for the U.S. Marine Commem. He increased the total number from 500,000 to 600,000.

In my opinion no modern commemorative WILL EVER do what the 2001 buffalo dollar did. I believe it only took 17 days to sell out. While I do believe this coin has the potential, especially if the Marines get involved, retired and active but most non-collectors don't have a clue, at this time, the coin is even going to be struck. I have a couple of co-workers who were Marines and they didn't know a thing until I told them. Yes, I will probably buy a couple of these coins! :ninja:

• 2 months later...

Well, to resurrect an old thread...

I read in the September 12, 2005 edition of Coin World on page 2 that the US Marine Corp commem is about to be a sell out. In fact they had to reduce the number of American Legacy Collection sets from 100,000 to 50,000 just to have enough individual coins to meet demands.

Looks like a bunch of Marines were informed about its release, and Semper Fi continues.

I think this will probably sell out, but of course it won't be the first modern commem to sell out, that honor goes to the 1986 Statue of Liberty half eagle. Of course the 2001 Buffalo dollars were a sellout, and that happened in a matter of days after they came out! Last I checked my unc. Marine Corps dollar was scheduled to ship in October! :ninja:

Modern commemoratives have been restricted to 500,000 strikes, but Treasury Secretary is allowed to increase the total number, which John Snow did for the U.S. Marine Commem. He increased the total number from 500,000 to 600,000.

This rule has really only been in effect since 1993 or 1994 after some of the commem programs got little out of control. Before 1994, there were quite a few coins with mintages over 500,000, including the Bill of Rights, Mount Rushmore, and then you get to the big boys, like the 1990 Ike with 1.1 million proofs, the 88 Olympic with 1.4 million proofs, the 87 Constitution with 2.7 million proofs, and the grandaddy of them all, the 86 Statue of Liberty with 6.4 million proofs! The $5 SOL sold out with a combined production of 500,000 and for a year or two after the sellout, that coin was selling for $500! Now you have things like the 2002 SLC Olympic $5 with a mintage of 5,727 and it's not worth much more than melt! Granted, it is an ugly coin, but come on! :ninja:

Haven't other coins sold old, like the Buffalo $1 people mention?

I don't know about this one, personally I don't think the 235th anniversary of anything should get a coin. At least stick to normal round anniversaries. 1905 had plenty of events worth commemorating.

• 2 months later...
Not anymore. :ninja:  Whew! It took so long, I thought it might not make the journey.

There have been many reports by individuals stating that their Marine commem was an excellent strike, great luster, etc. What do you think of the one you received?

There have been many reports by individuals stating that their Marine commem was an excellent strike, great luster, etc. What do you think of the one you received?

It would feel strange to call it luster because of the strong matte surface, but yes it does have a nice appearance. Mine unfortunatley has a single small (0.5-1mm) spot on the obverse where the surface is more smooth and "shiney". So I am guessing it is wera or a defect on the die surface. As I only have one I cannot compare the sharpness of my strike to another. Besides the one blemish, I think it is a very nice coin.

• 1 month later...