CoinPeople.com

MY FIRST GOLD COIN

ruysim

Congrats! That's a wonderful start on a long road of loving those shiney little beauties.

Great buy. There are some really affordable gold coins out there. Especially the bullion and world pieces.

You got one up on me.....as I have zero gold!

Welcome to the wonderful world of GOLD!!! Your wallet will not make it out of here alive!!!

As noted up above my first gold coin was the 1877 Sovereign from Great Britain. Unfortunately the coin went "missing" when I was about 13-14 yrs old and haven't seen or heard of it since so someone pilfered it apparently.

This is my latest acquisition:

1854ten.jpg

A piece with not really a whole lot of markup over spot, but packs one heck of a lot of history bang for the buck. This piece was one of the first coins minted in the then provisional branch mint in San Francisco, and has a comparetively huge mintmark. I would like to think one of my many gold mining ancestors got this in exchange for gold turned in - who knows? :ninja:

Nice eagle! Too bad your ancestor didn't ask for 4 quarter eagles instead!!!

True, maybe they did, but they spent them instead of saving them for my likes. Besides they didn't mint those until the Civil War, but they did mint half eagles but they are not good bang for the buck, they are quite rare from that first year.

True, maybe they did, but they spent them instead of saving them for my likes. Besides they didn't mint those until the Civil War, but they did mint half eagles but they are not good bang for the buck, they are quite rare from that first year.

FYI- The 1854-S quarter eagle is an EXTREME rarity with a mintage of 246. The last one that surfaced was in XF (at the top end for this issue) and sold for $253K.

Archived