CoinPeople.com

What is the rarest coin you own?

ruysim

What is the rarest coin you own?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is the mintage of your rarest coin?

• unique
    • 2-10
    • 10-100
    • 100-1,000
    • 1,000-5,000
    • 5,000-20,000
    • 20,000-50,000
    • 50,000-100,000
    • 100,000-500,000
    • 500,000-1,000,000
    • 1,000,000-500,0000
    • 500,0000-10,000,000
    • more than 10,000,000

Ok. I did forget one. It is a note, but I'll break the rules and include it here anyway.

1935 A North Africa $1 silver certificate STAR note (good for one dollar of silver when redeemed) - signatures of Julian and Morgenthau - yellow seal. Friedberg # 2306*. Certified Fine 12 by Currency Grading and Authentication, Inc.

Emergency note issued during World War II for use with the Armed Forces in Europe and North Africa. The population of star notes is not shown but I estimate 500 were issued (the Hawaii star note had 500 issued for 35 million standard notes. North Africa had 27 million standard notes printed.)

924194A.jpg

924194B.jpg

So this note, and the Hawaiian I have (not pictured) are the rarest in my collection at 500 made for each.

This is my second rarest:

r1777.jpg

Richter # 1777, Martin # 1060, silver shooting medal, 1898 Albisgütli (Zürich) Cantonal Shoot. Engraved by Fritz Landry, Neuenburg. 26mm, VF+, 3,000 minted. My first shooting medal. Photo and medal courtesy of Schutzenfester.

The 3rd, well 4th, rarest numismatic item I own is the proof Walking Liberty Half I posted about at the beginning of this thread.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my second rarest:

r1777.jpg

Richter # 1777, Martin # 1060, silver shooting medal, 1898 Albisgütli (Zürich) Cantonal Shoot. Engraved by Fritz Landry, Neuenburg. 26mm, VF+, 3,000 minted. My first shooting medal. Photo and medal courtesy of Schutzenfester.

That is a rather amusing reverse on that thing. :ninja:

I'm short on rare coins. I have some wonderful Indian Head Cents and Large Cents. A few pricey dollars and dimes. I even have a few 1950-D Jeffersons. Rare? Not at all. But I do have a one-of-a-kind re-engraved ANA Anniversary Medal. I posted my research about this medal years ago and haven't come up with anything new since then. I'll look for the thread and if I can't find it I'll repost.

I'm not sure if it's my rarest but it was my luckey day. I bought a 2008 W American Eagle from the mint for actual cost and it turned out to be the 2008W with the reverse back of the 2007. I send it in to NGC and it came back confirmed as a MS69 reverse back valued at $550 and it's one of 47,000 and it's the corner stone of my NGC MS69 American Eagle MS Registery set. :ninja:

In 1979 & 1981 I ordered 5 proof sets and 3 of the 1979 SBA dollars were type 2 clear S and 2 of the 1981 SBA dollars were also type 2 with the clear S. ;)

I'm short on rare coins. I have some wonderful Indian Head Cents and Large Cents. A few pricey dollars and dimes. I even have a few 1950-D Jeffersons. Rare? Not at all. But I do have a one-of-a-kind re-engraved ANA Anniversary Medal. I posted my research about this medal years ago and haven't come up with anything new since then. I'll look for the thread and if I can't find it I'll repost.

Thats an interesting coincidence re:1950D nickel Art , i was in an old gentlemens house recently helping him ID and sort out his coins.Out of all his coins which included more than one 1914p half dollar he wanted to know about his prized 1950d nickel.

Apparantly a lot of money was paid for it a long time ago on the strength of its low mintage.Even by todays standards it was a lot to pay,i believe $100 was paid for it which doesnt surprise me when i know 2009 nickels were fetching nearly $50 initially.

Even showing me his 3 Nixon years CC dollars couldnt seem to clear his mind , id bought him a red book last year at xmas..it was still a shock to him his nickel was a scam job.He hadnt a clue about the barber halfs,hopefully it will have sunk in what they are worth.I left him to it with his red book,his eyes are shot though,so no doubt ill get to see some more.

r1777.jpg

Yeah, you dawg, you got that before I did :ninja: But I will admit you have fine tastes in medals, hopefully my tastes have rubbed off on you.

So far, it's not an actual coin, but the Franklin Mint Apollo XIV moon coin, at 124,499. Of real money, it's the 1868 1/3 farthing at 144,000. So unless research turns up anything less common, I'll go with the 144,000. Krause reports a mintage of 39,000 for the 1973 50 groszy of Poland, but since there's no price differential, that's probably a typo.

Love the lion with the carbine...

r1777.jpg

What's more dangerous than a lion? Why, a lion with a loaded rifle of course! :ninja:

Here's a new shooting medal, Richter # R37b, 1920 Zofingen in Aargau. 150 were minted in silver.....

zofingen-1.jpg

zofingen-2.jpg

Here's another new medal, Richter # R1801b, 1909 Winterthur in Zurich. Only 78 were minted in silver.....

winterthur-1.jpg

winterthur-2.jpg

Oh no! Is there a way to change my vote? I just found a 1963 Seychelles 2c piece I didn't even know I had -- mintage 40,000, beating my third farthing by an easy hundred thou!

Okay, the lesson is: databasing is your friend. :ninja:

• 1 month later...

I am not sure of the rarest but scarcest will be the right term, from my coins I'll pick two - 1946 SA British West Africa penny and 1952 BWA test shilling. I have to admit that my sole source of coins is eBay which I scan for many years but these 2 are rarely seen. Penny has a mintage of over a million declared by the mint, but very few are shwing up over the years, I have seen only a couple and of the trial shillings I've got 2 of the 3 I ever saw and I know of one more in another collection. South African and Rhodesian proofs with mintages of under 1,000 do not really count as they can be frequently seen on the market - just a matter of money.

Archived