CoinPeople.com

What is the rarest coin you own?

ruysim

What is the rarest coin you own?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is the mintage of your rarest coin?

• unique
    • 2-10
    • 10-100
    • 100-1,000
    • 1,000-5,000
    • 5,000-20,000
    • 20,000-50,000
    • 50,000-100,000
    • 100,000-500,000
    • 500,000-1,000,000
    • 1,000,000-500,0000
    • 500,0000-10,000,000
    • more than 10,000,000

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rarest is a didrachm from Gela, Sicily.

The city state is named after the river Gela, and the coinage has the river god (Gela) depicted on the obverse as a man headedbull. Gela is invariably facing to the right (as per my example below which dates to circa 490 bc)

909715.jpg

That is not the one that's `rare' though. According to Jenkins there are thirteen known examples of Gela facing to the left (date to circa 450 bc) all part of the same hoard find. You can therefore imagine my delight at finding the one shown below............

Sure it's a cruder and rougher example, but i'm not complaining.

909716.jpg

As far as I can ascertain this one is unique:

Belgium 50 centimes struck as a gold proof.

mt3vhi.jpg

I have to take a better picture, the reverse isd not as smudged looking in hand.

As for rare issued coins:

Peru 1983 5 Sol PCGS MS64 Mintage of 650.

Peru 1985 5 Intis PCGS MS66 Mintage of 3,972.

I also sent this to NGC and have yet to see another:

Thai Baht struck with two obv. dies NGC MS67

ml1lir.jpg

Here are two pieces I own:

633.jpg

I stumbled upon this coin a few weeks ago and i've been wondering whether to go for it or not. I like the George II young head coinage a lot and I've always aspired after a gold one, so I took the plunge. A 1737 Half Guinea. I have no idea how many were minted originally, but the survival rate appears to be very low. The Spinks catalogue just lists it as Extremely Rare and quotes no value. I am led to believe that only a small handful exist outside of museums.

961729.jpg

For hammered coins it is impossible and I imagine the same for Early Milled coins.

For Decimal coins; http://24carat.co.uk/mintagefiguresframe.html

There's very few mintage figures for Early Milled British coins, the Coincraft 2000 catalogue gives the nearest thing to mintage figures for a small sample of EM coins (namely gold coins from 1760-1813). It lists them in 'value in pounds sterling' of all gold coins minted (Guineas, Half Guineas, Third Guineas and Quarter Guineas). I know that similar figures exist for silver coins minted (their annual sum in face value), but don't ask me where to find them [they do exist though!]

The only Early Milled coins that I know there are mintage figures for are guineas minted between 1675-1725 and then these are only the ones with the elephant and castle symbol, NOT those without. Yet some of these such as 1713 (with elephant or elephant and castle are not listed in the main catalogue listings as actually existing, but the mintage figure states that 143 were struck in that year!) So it's either a case that they were struck dated 1713 and none have survived to present, or that there were 143 elephant and castle guineas struck in 1713 but they may have carried an earlier date. So even when figures do exist they aren't exactly that 'useful' as an indicator of rarity.

Hi.

Portugues 20 centavos of 1921, smaller module.

Unlike ordinary coins (the one on the right) with Ø 23 mm, smaller coins with Ø 22,3 mm (coin on the left) are known to exit for 1921 and 1922.

Exact mintage for smaller module unknown.

Not listed on Krause. Listed under Gomes (Moedas portuguesas, etc.) AG 14.01

Picture

01096_400.jpg

Scan

01097_400.jpg

1817 Pattern British crown by William Wyon, the "Incorrupta" (ex Willis collection). Mintage reported 18.

Also have the other Wyon 1817 crown pattern, "Three Graces" (ex Wyon collection), mintage reported 50. These patterns were Wyon's attempts at designs for the 1818 "new" coinage for the British Empire. Pistrucci beat him out however for the 1818 coinage with his St. George design for the crown and his "bull head" for the half crown.

Both heads on these Wyon patterns are similar, but in my opinion, the head on the Incorrupta is the finest rendering of George III on any coinage.

1817_Incorrupta_obv.jpg

1817_Incorrupta_rev.jpg

1817_3Graces_obv_small.jpg

1817_3Graces_rev_smal.jpg

Not that King George III was a handsome man by any stretch of the imagination...lol. But yes, that is quite the impressive portrait.

I find it very interesting that almost 50% of the collectors who responded to this poll state that they own at least one coin which was minted in quantities of 1,000 or less ... :ninja:

VERY impressive! ;)

This 1817 1 Tornese Sicilian coin , mintage unknown, may not be the most expensive, but it is one of my favorites. World Coins shows a worth of $50.00 in XF. I sent this into PCGS for a free grading not knowing I couldn't do that, but they did print on return label MS. Most probably the most expensive coin I have is the 1971-S Proof DDO as shown in my album.1817_1_Tornese.jpg1817_1_Tornese_Rev.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
What is your rarest coin?

I have an archaic sixth stater electum from Miletus. No one knows how many were minted. However, none of the others of this type that I have seen in catalogs (Brett's Boston Musesum, Wagoner Getty Museum, etc.) exactly matches this.

(Image removed 24Sept2010 - mm)

I don't have anything that actually qualifies as rare. I have a couple of 1908-S Indian Head Cents - pretty low mintage on those. I've always been more prone to buy quantity vs. save for quality. I know it's not what is and has always been recommended for collectors but I'd honestly rather have a nice run of 1895-1909 IHCs in XF45-MS64 than a single 1909-S or such.

I find it very interesting that almost 50% of the collectors who responded to this poll state that they own at least one coin which was minted in quantities of 1,000 or less ... :ninja:

VERY impressive! ;)

Seems odd to me too....

But very nice....We have very impressive collections ;)

I don't have anything that actually qualifies as rare. I have a couple of 1908-S Indian Head Cents - pretty low mintage on those. I've always been more prone to buy quantity vs. save for quality. I know it's not what is and has always been recommended for collectors but I'd honestly rather have a nice run of 1895-1909 IHCs in XF45-MS64 than a single 1909-S or such.

I was never sure how to feel about this sort of situation until I sold all but my nickel coin books a few months ago. I really am a type set kind of guy, not a rarity nut, just type coins in general. That being said, one coin of each type from 1793 to 1830's in no less than Vg and 1830's to 1890's in no less than XF with 1890's to current in no less than MS 62 is quite a challenge regardless. Personally I don't think I will ever complete this sort of set, but it will be a long running goal to try. I'm not doing too poorly for my age though. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, the rarest coin('s) I have would be a toss up; an 1836 Bust Half Reeded Edge(50 Cents rev.) in a green label PCGS 63(probably a 64 by todays standards), its a nice bright tone free example.... the other is an 1849 Mormon $2.50 ('TWO.AND.HALF.DO.') gold piece in PCGS AU-55. The pop.# for the Bust half is 6 in 63 with 3 finer(65 finest), and the pop.# for the Mormon $2.50 is 7 in 55 with 1 finer(62).... I'm not sure what the pop. reports for are for either coin with NGC, but I know they are minuscule.

Concerning ancients rarity can change in a few seconds if a lucky detectionist openes a jar.

My database lists about 100+ coins if i type "unlisted" in the search function box.

Some are only varieties, many are worn and of little interest for the average collector.

But it´s always a thrill to hunt and find them.

Eg., my latest catch from March 09:

MU6.jpg

Nikopolis ad Istrum in Moesia Inferior, Macrinus, issued by legate Statius Longinus, 218 AD.,

AE 26 / Tetrassarion (23-25 mm / 8,49 g),

Obv.: [AYT K] M OΠEΛΛI CE - [VH MAKPI]NOC , laureate head of Macrinus right.

Rev.: YΠ CTA[....... NIKOΠOΛI]TΩN ΠPO / C ICTPO , eagle standing frontal-left, head turned right, wings spread.

AMNG I, 1, - (cf. 1785, unclear and definitely different on both sides) ; Patricia Lawrence, The Longinus Dies for Macrinus and Diadumenian at Nicopolis ad Istrum: obv. die MHh / rev. die unknown .

regards

Archived