CoinPeople.com

Constantine the Great in a Pannonian Hat

jlueke

At last night's meeting of the TCACC (Twin Cities Ancient Coin Club) we were fortunate enough to be visited by Zach Beasley owner of Beast coins. Zach has a very interesting coin of Constantine showing the emperor wearing a Pannonian hat, common headgear for soldiers traveling during the cold months. The coin has engendered quite a bit of discussion in the few years since it has been discovered and Zach has done a great job documenting his findings. The site is certainly worth a visit if you haven't been Constantine Pannonian Hat

Very nice presentation. I appreciate the scholarly pursuit.

.. which landed nowhere, actually. No conclusion was reached regarding authenticity whatsoever. This has been shining for three years on that web page of Beast coins, to be honest I don't believe it. It probably the forger was an Atatürk affiliate.. made this one as a joke or in an attempt to prove that Constantine was the founder of Turkey !

"Unlisted in all known references" indeed.

By the way this same Beast-page is a very useful reference for Constantine age bust types !

One statement on that page strikes me (as a mainland European)

"The coin, unfortunately, will not be sent to the British Museum for analysis due to recent actions by the U. S. Government in seizing ancient coins bound for foreign lands."

So.. Americans cannot send over antique coins ? I've never had any trouble receiving coins from VCoins-vendors omong which Beast itself.. what's the problem ?

:ninja:

Lx

• 2 months later...
It probably the forger was an Atatürk affiliate.. made this one as a joke or in an attempt to prove that Constantine was the founder of Turkey !

By the way this same Beast-page is a very useful reference for Constantine age bust types !

The Pannonian hat is well-known from antiquity.

statue.jpg

Statue of the Tetrarchs

Arch.jpg

Constantine’s arch in Rome

sarcophagus.jpg

sarcophagus from the 4th century A.D.

and my site is also a useful reference for bust types!

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/busts/

I believe it is genuine...though a funny thing is that there are now fakes being made based off his coin...one surfaced a while back...good thing is that it was a terrible attampt at a fake :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...
...though a funny thing is that there are now fakes being made based off his coin...one surfaced a while back...good thing is that it was a terrible attampt at a fake :ninja:

It was indeed though the seller was very insistent that the coin had been recently dug from the ground even though it looked clearly modern. It was certainly created with the intent to deceive.

Martin

Archived