CoinPeople.com

Washington vs Adams

Burks

Over the weekend my dad gave me a roll of the new John Adams dollars. At first glance I thought "holy cow, these look much better than Washington's!". Sure enough they really do.

Washington looked like someone whizzed in his Wheaties or stepped in something smelly. At least Adams looks like a somewhat "normal" person.

I can't tell ya that I like the John Adams coin better. Certainly Washington's head is much larger on his coin. And Washington's portrait still carries a great deal of the majesty that we are accustomed to when viewing his visage.

My opinion would refer to popularity, and it seems to have fallen off already even tho' only two prexies are out of the box so far. I don't hold out much hope for this series.

No photos necessary. They will be all over the place soon enough. I really don't like any of them. Good for insighting new collectors but they just will not go over for spending. I just can't see carrying 20 or 30 of those baby sized dollar coins instead of bills. So far just to many people look at me when trying to spend them and say what is this thing? I know eventually everyone will know what they are but I just can't stand the things. One bank I go to is always trying to get people to take them with very little luck.

I like the Adams better, but there is so much empty space on the obverse I wonder why we had to move all the mottos and date to the edge? Adams looks less cartoonish than Washington, though still somewhat bug-eyed. Spend a couple at Wal-mart on the way home from work the other day and the cashier was very excited.

Adam's all the way

Is it okay if I answer "neither"? Lol, I think these coins are just aweful, both of them. I have the P and D of each, and that's only because I am a sucker for collecting US issued coinage. I think the Sacs win hands down, and even those are pretty ugly, haha.

Adams does look better but I've said it before & I'll say it again Coins should have profiles & Notes Portraits, they just don't look right the other way round.

I agree. I was pretty excited when I heard about the new Jefferson portrait, but now I find I'm pretty disappointed with it (no dig on the sculptors). Same goes for the new dollars, unfortunately. I hope the designers at the mint don't get too frustrated with compressing all of any given person's face into a fraction of a millimeter while trying at the same time to make said face look realistic. And that's for the next 9 years, at the least.

I'll say it again Coins should have profiles & Notes Portraits, they just don't look right the other way round.

I agree, although I think the new dollars look good, I also think that the side view is best for coins and the regular portrait best for dollars...

Archived