CoinPeople.com

How old were you when you started?

ruysim

How old were you when you started?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you started?

• 1-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20-30
    • 30-40
    • 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100

Does monopoly money count??? Just joking. I was about 12 when my grandparents got me started with a few morgan dollars.

I was about 13 when I got interested, my nan had died, aged 96, :ninja: and when my dad was clearing out her house found this tin with uncirculated £2 coins (pre 1997), 25p Crowns & 5/- Crowns along with a few 1994 WWII 50p's ;)

I had a few George VI shillings/Florins when I was younger but that was when they were still running in tandem with the 5p/10p coins of the day. Unfortunately although interested in them I was too young to understand so many went back to the cornershop owner ;)

I started around 9 or so when my Grandpa was into coins heavily. With sports and everything (plus him retiring and starting a business) we just didn't have any time.

It took 10 years until I got back into the hobby.

I was 9 or 10 when I started collecting 1 cent coins by date. The 1 cent coins were the only denomination I could afford "collecting" instead of saving/spending. Later, when I had almost all circulating years, I moved to 5 cent coins (stuivers) and later also 10 cent coins (dubbeltjes).

Then coin collecting started hybernating for about 10 years and I got back into collecting when it became clear that the euro would come and the gulden would disappear.

In the mean time, I alwyas kept change from foreign countries, when I had visited them.

This is how my two different collections started : dutch coins by denomination and year and foreign coins of countries I have visited by type.

27. When my daughters were 1 and 2 respectively my wife put down her foot on my collection of Napoleonic era swords and guns. She suggested something small and blunt so I came home from a trip to Hawai'i with this.

When I was a kid I collected pennies, nickels and dimes until my sisters decided to spend them... :ninja:

I was about 8, which makes this my 16th year of collecting today. :ninja:

I didn't seriously get into it until I was about 14 though.

And I didn't spend everything I make on it until I was 19, lol. Does that count? Haha, I still say 8 though, just because my grandma gave me some barber coinage she saved from when she was my age (at the time), and it had me hooked. Oddly enough I never purchased a barber coin until the mid 90's lol.

I was 14 when I got my first coins from my grandma. Some commemoratives from Belgium (250 francs 1976 and 500 francs 1980). After that, I bought my first coin on a fleamarket in Brussels (Leopold II 5 Francs 1873). Short after that I started going through the change, and hoarded 50 centimes (type with Minor 1952-2001). I put them in little boxes, by year and language, and couldn't find some years in circulation. Later that year, I bought my very first catalogue (Morin 1996 - Belgian coins), and then noticed that the years I hadn't found up untill then, simply didn't excist :ninja:

I felt stupid and smart at the same time. ;)

It all snowballed since then...

Jos

Archived