CoinPeople.com

What is the oldest coin you own?

ruysim

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is the oldest coin that you own?

• Before 0 AD
    • 0 to 500 AD
    • 500-1000AD
    • 1000-1500AD
    • 1600-1700
    • 1700-1800
    • 1800-1850
    • 1850-1900
    • 1900-2007

Here's my oldest...

14673q00.jpg

4th Century B.C. Pantikapaion

Bronze AE21

6.915g

21.6mm

Obverse bearded head of Pan (or Satyr) to right

Reverse P(Pi not P)A, forepart of griffin left, sturgeon left beneath

S 1700; SNG Cop 30 - 31, MacDonald 69; Anokhim 111; SNG BM Black Sea 869 - 871

For US coins this would be my oldest...

US05210606LG.jpg

miletos.jpg

Ionia Miletos ca. 600-550 BC is probably my oldest "coin".

delfin2.jpg

Oldest "money" but not specifically "coin", made ca. 650-600 BC.

My oldest coin for the USA is a 1723 Rosa Americana penny - not imaged though.

My oldest coin with USA is this:

1794.jpg

My oldest is this Scottish Penny:

Alexander III (1249-1286), Penny (1.33g., 19mm; Second Coinage). Obv: Crowned head left; sceptre before. Rev: Voided long cross; mullets of six points and stars of seven points in quarters. Good VF, toned. (Burns 38 (fig. 170); SCBI 35 (Ashmolean & Hunterian), 278; cf. SCBC 5056.)

924334.jpg

I would have to go with the first choice. It is a silver Roman denarius from 124BC and I love it.

ROMAN REPUBLIC 124BC

Just curious. Does it have BC after the date or before the date. :ninja:

Kidding of course. That far back don't think they used English letters.

Did you know it is proper to state BC prior to a date whereas it is proper to put the AD after the date?

I didn't vote. Not sure of the ages of many coins. Really old, foreign, not sure coins just go into a box.

All of a sudden I want to get my hand on at least one ancient.

And sift through Carl's junk box! ;)

It's not really a junk box though. But there are many, many boxes of 2x2's with coins from all over the world and I have no idea what many are. People have been giving me foreign coins for over 60 years now. Since I don't collect them I have little idea of what most are from, denomination, dates, etc. I just keep putting them in those 2x2's. Some really look old.

The thing I don't understand is why so many countries over the centuries didn't put English on the coins so I could read them. ;):ninja:

It's not really a junk box though. But there are many, many boxes of 2x2's with coins from all over the world and I have no idea what many are. People have been giving me foreign coins for over 60 years now. Since I don't collect them I have little idea of what most are from, denomination, dates, etc. I just keep putting them in those 2x2's. Some really look old.

The thing I don't understand is why so many countries over the centuries didn't put English on the coins so I could read them. ;):ninja:

Damn I wish I was in your place ;)

O.K then, I was to look through your boxes upon boxes of 2x2's ;)

Maybe if you grope through the Krause you can find some I.D's? I did that today...managed to ID the few coins that needed IDing ;)

Damn I wish I was in your place :ninja:

O.K then, I was to look through your boxes upon boxes of 2x2's ;)

Maybe if you grope through the Krause you can find some I.D's? I did that today...managed to ID the few coins that needed IDing ;)

I am just to old to go out and buy a book on foreign coins, to old to try to figure out that many coins, to old to really care. Just for the fun of it after seeing this post I attempted to count how many 2x2's had foreign coins in those boxes and came up with well over 2,000. Then I remembered a plastci box with coins that were to small or to big for a 2x2 so I looked in there. To many to count. I just wonder who will get stuck weeding this all out when I'm gone.

My oldest is this Greek Tomis, 200-100 BC. Hermes head right (cool hat eh?), Caduceus with wings, TOMEI AOAE (Moushmov 1772, plate III, 30 - thanks to a sharp-eyed collector for help with that attribution).

tomissn2.jpg

My oldest "standard" numerical dated coin is this German (Hanau-Munzenberg) 1614, 3 kreuzer.

1614kruezer3ox4.jpg

My oldest US coin is this, barely identifiable, 1798 large cent that I am very proud to have in my collection.

1798lcaf2.jpg

Finally, an honorable mention to this double-struck Constantine I Licinius follis as my oldest error (@310 AD).

condslh5.jpg

Every time I get involved in one of these "your oldest..." threads, I start thinking about trying to put together a one per century set. :ninja:

Archived