CoinPeople.com

Little Rock Commems.

tommyd

The new Little Rock Central High School Desegregation Silver Dollars may turn out to be a wise investment. Why? For one, they are quite drab in design. Also, there is no supporting gold piece. Finally, the wider section of racist America will not entertain them, all of which will keep mintages quite low. Can anyone say 'Jackie Robinson'? I'm certainly buying one of each, proof and unc.

I am not sure you can put the credit for Jackie Robinson's low mintage on Racist America, you have to look at the bigger picture. We had just come off one of the most abusive years of commemorative history, 1996 with its 1,762 different Olympic silver dollars. Collectors were fed up, so you see a lot lower mintages on the issues of 1997 and 1998, heck I don't think we had any sellouts till the buffaloes of 2001! I find the Little Rock design interesting, so I may buy one or two, but I am not expecting a low mintage or any appreciation from them.

Of course you may be right too, after all we have state quarters, presidential dollars, 20th anniversary eagles, first lady gold eagles, Jamestown, mint sets, proof sets, silver proof sets, come to think of it, as a collector I'm about as tired as I was in 1997!

Oh man... only a few more loooong weeks til I'll be receiving my first substantial paychecks. I was planning on investing them but I still havent bought a yearly proof set, a jamestown commem, and a baltimore show.

anywho, back to my point... tommy has a good point re: a good investment. I'm interested in seeing the design.

I must be racist since I have no desire to own this issue. Or it may have something to do with the lousy design and ridiculously short time span involved. IMO, no topic deserves a commemorative issue before 100 years!

Jamestown 400th anniversary = worthy of commems.

Little Rock 50th anniversary = not!

I think the varying reactions to the design are amazing. My girlfriend hated it. She agrees with the above posters who found it drab and boring. I totally disagree. I think the Feet is a nice metaphor and keeps the focus on the overall movement towards civil rights, rather than on the individuals walking into school that day.

But 50 years is still too soon!

The US mint puts out a couple commemorative silver dollars each year. The second one for this year was just released. It commemorates the 50th anniversary of the desegregation of little rock high school in Arkansas. It was a pretty amazing time. The governor of Arkansas called out 270 national guard troops to prevent 9 black students from entering the school. President Eisenhower had to call in 1,100 paratroopers and temporarily federalize the state national guard before the students were allowed to attend class.

Here's the coin itself:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/store...ddkey=ClickInfo

Archived