CoinPeople.com

Portuguese Republic (1st)

jlueke

I know a bunch of collectors here like this series and I am wondering if any of you have some info or links about the designer/engraver of these coins?

That's not a bad site for listing, but it doesn't mention the designers. Unless that's in the forum but I'm not going to attempt that in Portuguese :ninja:

I know a bunch of collectors here like this series and I am wondering if any of you have some info or links about the designer/engraver of these coins?

If you're talking about the first series and if i'm not mistaken, they were engraved by "José Sérgio" the same engraver as the Portuguese "Ceres" stamps series and not by "V. Alves" who worked in the Carlos I and Manuel II coins (the 1912 Portuguese India Rupee is still his work tough).

Jose :ninja:

Thanks Jose. I don't suppose there's anything written on the early Republican mint.

Thanks Jose. I don't suppose there's anything written on the early Republican mint.

Not online, but there's a book on the "Escudo" history that covers it:

"A Grande História do Escudo Português" by A. Trigueiros (a former INCM director) - 2003/4

Note: in those days the engraver and the designer of a coin weren't usually the same person.

P.S.: I'm sure that if you ask what you wish to know at the moedas.org forum (or any other Portuguese coin forum) in English you'll get a answer, there aren't any rules enforcing Portuguese as the mandatory post language.

P.S.: I'm sure that if you ask what you wish to know at the moedas.org forum (or any other Portuguese coin forum) in English you'll get a answer, there aren't any rules enforcing Portuguese as the mandatory post language.

Thankfully, because I can read and understand Portuguese, but sure cannot speak or write it:)

Not online, but there's a book on the "Escudo" history that covers it:

"A Grande História do Escudo Português" by A. Trigueiros (a former INCM director) - 2003/4

Note: in those days the engraver and the designer of a coin weren't usually the same person.

Jose ;)

Ahh that's good to know as well. :ninja:

Archived