CoinPeople.com

First spouse coins canceled

Mark Stilson

I think that "first ladies" are the last people who should be on coins. Politicians shouldn't have their images on our coins and their wives certainly don't deserve such recognition. I doubt the current government and monetary system is going to survive long enough to complete the series of presidential dollars. Probably by the time they get to Pierce, you'll need ten of them to buy a can of soda.

What are spouse coins?

You may have heard about those new $1 circulation :ninja: coins depicting the presidents of the US. (The series just started with George Washington; the Adams dollar comes out this month.) Well, each of those will be "accompanied" by a gold coin depicting that president's spouse ...

Christian

You may have heard about those new $1 circulation ;) coins depicting the presidents of the US. (The series just started with George Washington; the Adams dollar comes out this month.) Well, each of those will be "accompanied" by a gold coin depicting that president's spouse ...

Christian

Oh I see, what a bizzare idea :ninja:

It has nothing to do with lack of popularity. From all account so far they got way more subscriptions than expected. Since they are limited to 40,000 per coin (total both proof & unc.) it appears they decided to cancel subscriptions in order to have them available for general ordering. The coins will still be minted.

I think that "first ladies" are the last people who should be on coins. Politicians shouldn't have their images on our coins and their wives certainly don't deserve such recognition.

Agreed. Liberty looked quite nice on pretty much anything, and following the evolution of her image is fascinating.

So, I found myself wondering the other day if they got into presidents starting with Lincoln because he did so much for liberty, and then after that everyone wanted a piece. I mean, I know Kennedy was assassinated, but what did he do besides Bay of Pigs?

Boo presidents.

I miss Liberty.

It has nothing to do with lack of popularity. From all account so far they got way more subscriptions than expected. Since they are limited to 40,000 per coin (total both proof & unc.) it appears they decided to cancel subscriptions in order to have them available for general ordering. The coins will still be minted.

I didn't realize there were that many interested in them. I personally think this is one of the most ill-conceived ideas for a coin.

What they found out is MOST collectors DON'T want to pay for 4 gold coins at one time. The series will be sold as singles and after that fails, hopefully they will cancel the dumbest idea the U.S. Mint and our Congress ever came up with!!! Most First Ladies, in years past, were to be seen and not heard and played almost no role in U.S. history other than the fact they were the Presidents wife! Most Americans couldn't name a half a dozen First Ladies and many of them, especially in the last 20 years, wouldn't be mentioned favorably!

Speculating even in a thing you think you know is a very danberous thing

On an investment forum somebody bought several hundred slabbed MS64 double eagles

When gold was way up instead of 40% gain he was left with 10% gain between

buy and sell margins

Also virtually any coin minted by Monnaie de Paris goes cheaper after two years on the secondary

market

So I think it is a question of selling them very shortly after the mint is sold out

He did, but she was not a First Lady because she died a couple of years before he was elected President. And so ...

Christian

Ah I see, well it's a nice design either way. Perhaps this design should be put on a general circulating $1 coin, certainly would look better than the president ones :ninja:

Archived