CoinPeople.com

1836 Gobrecht Dollar

LostDutchman

the coin is an an NTC (ICK!) VF30 altered surfaces holder..... not my ideal situation... and i honestly don't agree with the VF30...or like the holder for that matter... the coin to me appears to have 35-40 details... but has received an old wiping a long time ago and has some other small surface issues you can see on the rev.

I could be wrong, but I think this is a restrike.

If the eagle on the reverse is flying level [when the coin is rotated along its horzontal axis], I beleive it is a restrike. The eagle is supposed to be flying upward to the left. Notice the placement of the wording on the reverse. The words "ONE DOLLAR" are supposed to be placed so that the dots are on a horizontal plane with each other.

The restrikes were done by workmen not familiar with the proper die placement with the eagle rising and assumed the eagle was flying horizontally.

or so i seem to recall...

All Gobrecht Dollars were struck in proof finish on the Mint's largest screw press. Coins struck in coin turn with the eagle flying up are originals struck in Dec 1836. They were struck in two batches, 400 and 600. The first 400 pieces, which were retained at the Mint to pay out to small depositors and for interested visitiors and collectors, may have been struck as early as the first week of December but in 1836 warrants for silver and gold coins were issued only at the end of a given month. The last 600 were paid directly to the Bank of the U.S. and put into circulation.

600 pieces were struck in March 1837 using dies of 1836 but in medal turn vice coin turn to signify use of prior dated dies. They were all paid out through the banking system and today are quite rare. Originals again have the eagle flying "onwards and upwards" when turned on a vertical axis (medal turn).

The LD's piece is apparently a Dec 1836 original. The details appear to be around VF35 or so, but the surfaces are not the best. The nicks and rim dings also detract. NTC likely net graded, and I wouldn't disagree.

Archived