CoinPeople.com

Stop #9 Dockwalliper, Tonawanda NY

Dockwalliper

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCN1273.jpg

This one is a bit tough to see. This is the Commercial slip. It was the western terminus of the Erie canal. If you have ancestors that immigrated from Europe in the 1800s theres a good chance that this is where they passed thru as they headed west on the lakes. The entire section of the canal from Tonawanda to Buffalo was filled in decades ago. The slip is undergoing a complete historical restoration.

Very nicely done, gave me some great ideas for other stuff to see there when we come back again. I particularly want to see the Carousel museum, but I also like some of the architecture in Buffalo. Your part of the country is really wonderful to visit, there is a lot packed into a relatively small place and everything there is within easy driving distance. One of my personal favourite spots there is Ft. Niagara which is a rather imposing Vaubanesque looking structure up on Lake Ontario, we went and saw it back in 2004 - you can see it from Ft. George in Ontario, I visited there long before. Usually when we go over there we end up doing more on the Canadian side, where family is, but also crossing the border for us is a huge hassle(multiple citizenships) that the 2004 trip was the next to last time I have been in Canada. We never have problems getting into Canada, it is just coming back into the United States, and USA passports are so ridiculous that we let them expire(unlike the others that renew at no charge)

Niagara Falls is wonderful, there is nothing like it in the world, you can literally sit there for hours and stair at the falls, I have been there at sunrise, then sunset and midnight and the falls are always mesmerizing. Back about 7 years ago we took my niece there and saw the fireworks on the 4th of July, curiously enough shot off from the Canadian side. I really like the USA side of the falls a lot better, just less commercial, no wax museums etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DSCN1022.jpg

We've now turned 180 degrees and are looking back into Tonawanda, Main and Niagara Street. 100 years ago the canal passed thru where these arches are on its way to Buffalo. Tonawanda is now the terminus of the Erie Canal at the Niagara River.

Is the KOA near this MickieD? If so, then that's the one we had morning coffee many years ago. It looks a bit familiar, but I'm not completely sure.

Is the KOA near this MickieD? If so, then that's the one we had morning coffee many years ago. It looks a bit familiar, but I'm not completely sure.

The only KOA near by is in the middle of Grand Island(maybe 10 miles from me) next to an amusment park.(Fantisy Island) There was a Micky D's across the street from it until about 10 yrs ago when a new store was built on the Island. The old one is now a music store.

Archived