CoinPeople.com

Stop #9 Dockwalliper, Tonawanda NY

Dockwalliper

Libby made the 2 week trip from Spain and was happy to get out in the sun.

DSCN1006.jpg

Can you find her? She's right at the base of the flag.

DSCN1005.jpg

Later in the evening Libby was introduced to my Grandson Aaron.

DSCN1008.jpg

She then had a front row seat to cheer on the Sabres.

DSCN1010.jpg

Her day wasn't over after the game as she went into work with me that night.

DSCN1011.jpg

She's sitting on the control panel between the white and green light. I run a 90 degree VMI built in Holland.

Libby is looking forward to seeing the sights around town over the next couple weeks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos. Hope Libby is enjoying her visit. Don't make her work too hard.

Libby went to my hockey game tonight.

DSCN1012.jpg

Aaron took it opon himself to explain the finer points of the game.

DSCN1013.jpg

On the way home Libby got a nice view of the lights of downtown Buffalo.

DSCN1015.jpg

Lots of the buildings have changed to blue and yellow lights for the Sabres.

DSCN1021.jpg

We are standing on the Canal looking across into North Tonawanda. NT is in Niagara County and about double the size of Tonawanda. This is Gateway park. The site of numerous outdoor concerts from June thru Labor Day.

DSCN1022.jpg

We've now turned 180 degrees and are looking back into Tonawanda, Main and Niagara Street. 100 years ago the canal passed thru where these arches are on its way to Buffalo. Tonawanda is now the terminus of the Erie Canal at the Niagara River.

We're now in Niawanda Park. This park was built on the old filled in canal bed. It runs along the Niagara River for about six miles.

DSCN1027.jpg

Looking South. The park goes to the Bridges you can see off in the distance.

DSCN1028.jpg

Looking North. The Niagara is a short but fast river. Were about 11 miles above the Falls.

This building is in North Tonawanda.

DSCN1029.jpg

It is the origional factory of the Herschal Spiellman Carousel company. It is now the home of the Carousel Society on the Niagara Frontier. The Museum boasts a million dollar collection of wooden hand carved carousel animals and a fully working 1916 Carousel for visitors to ride.

http://www.carouselmuseum.org/index.html

This building is in North Tonawanda.

DSCN1029.jpg

It is the origional factory of the Herschal Spiellman Carousel company. It is now the home of the Carousel Society on the Niagara Frontier. The Museum boasts a million dollar collection of wooden hand carved carousel animals and a fully working 1916 Carousel for visitors to ride.

http://www.carouselmuseum.org/index.html

A couple of weeks ago my kids and I rode on a 1913 Herschel Spielman Carousel at the Henry Ford Museum, the carousel has all the original fixtures, very interesting. I do remember seeing the part about it being built in N. Tonawanda too :ninja:

Now when you see an authentic operating Industrial Brownhoist Crane, then you find my locales claim to fame.

Archived