CoinPeople.com

Two new Comemmorative Halves for the Type Set

AuldFartte

1892 Columbian Exposition

923158.jpg

1935-s U.S. San Diego

923159.jpg

Nice coins. I too like the Columbian Expo halves. Have a few in G4 condition and treasure them.

Handsome coins! Is it just me or is the relief especially high on the San Diego commem?

May I ask the grade on the Columbian? It looks higher than the one I have (which isn't that high)... just curious.

Also... Art, those two G4s sound amazing - the fact that they were circulated and actually used!

The Columbian halves were being sold at the expo for $1.00 each, which the public frankly balked at. So the mint was left with nearly 2 million of them which they couldn't peddle off on the gullible public, so later on they were released into circulation. For this reason they circulated, probably more as pocket pieces than anything else. I have a roll of them somewhere that I bought for melt once, they are all in VF+ but had been polished sometime in the past, so I took them out to the ranch and put them up on top of a gate where they laid for more than 5 years to re-tone.

Handsome coins! Is it just me or is the relief especially high on the San Diego commem?

May I ask the grade on the Columbian? It looks higher than the one I have (which isn't that high)... just curious.

The San Diego looked like a good strike to me. That's what caught my eye, and the relief is certainly a part of that.

The Columbian is EF in my opinion.

Archived