CoinPeople.com

20 shillings from British Isles

pooky

Anyone know any more about such a coin? i received one off my granddad who got a few from a friend at a bank. I dont ave my collection with me at the moment, but they were issued for one of the outer Isles such as Guernsey or Isle of Man. i hear they didnt take off and were not issued for general circulation. They are a rounded square shape if i remember correctly.

I am not sure about all i have said, hence the post, curious though how many others there are out there

The closest match would be a 1966 10/- or Ten Shillings from Jersey, commemorating the accession of William I(1066-1087) to the throne of England. Jersey and Guernsey are the only remaining parts of the realm that were part of the original Norman kingdom.

Tha would make sense, I hate not having my collection with me but it weighs a tonne and is not so easy to move. Do you know any more about its circulation?

• 2 weeks later...
To the best of my knowledge, the Guernsey 10/ of 1966 is the world's first base-metal high denomination coin.

Interesting, I'm suprised the UK never did one themselves, then again both Jersey (1982) & Isle Of Man (1978) had £1 coins before the UK.

Shame this shape of coin never really took off I'd imagine though that they would cause havock with vending machines

Thats the one!

Thanks for the info, my granddad still has a few mint ones kept away somewhere but I am happy with my one.

Archived