CoinPeople.com

How to not counterfeit

tabbs

If you ever plan to make your own euro notes (and spend them), don't do this:

1144412439.jpg

A nice example of amateurish counterfeiting ... Some Eurobilltracker forum members were in Frankfurt, at the ECB premises, last week (Fri 27 April). During the talk they also heard about more or less sophisticated counterfeits - well, that one was found and easily detected, it seems. The original was a Suriname 500 gulden note from 2000, shortly before the country switched to the Suriname dollar. Here is (from Ron Wise's website) what it actually looks like:

SurinamPNew-500Gulden-2000_b.jpg

SurinamPNew-500Gulden-2000_f.jpg

I was not there (am a fairly casual tracker) but that meeting was interesting. Here is another example of crude counterfeiting http://www.fo-ul.de/1138682217.jpg ... apparently from/for a place where people are not familiar with euro serial numbers. :ninja:

Christian

I remember reading (sorry, I forget where) a story about a guy who cut the corner numbers off of $20 bills and pasted them on $1 bills to "counterfeit" them. Needless to say, the Secret Service caught him and the judge was very lenient in sentencing him.

• 1 month later...
I remember reading (sorry, I forget where) a story about a guy who cut the corner numbers off of $20 bills and pasted them on $1 bills to "counterfeit" them. Needless to say, the Secret Service caught him and the judge was very lenient in sentencing him.

Don't know if it is the same story, but that happened with a kid living within a few miles of where my family lived during the 1960's. The biggest reason for leniency was his age. He was only 8 or 10 years old as I recall. Was an easy catch for the Secret Service as his modes of transportation, bike and walking, combined with the small town business offerings limited the establishments he hit. Never met the kid, but wonder now what he made of his life as an adult.

Don't know if it is the same story, but that happened with a kid living within a few miles of where my family lived during the 1960's. The biggest reason for leniency was his age. He was only 8 or 10 years old as I recall. Was an easy catch for the Secret Service as his modes of transportation, bike and walking, combined with the small town business offerings limited the establishments he hit. Never met the kid, but wonder now what he made of his life as an adult.

Oh... him. I remember what happened to him. He's in the State Department and drafted the report with evidence of WMDs in Iraq. :ninja:

sorry, I don't usually make political jokes

Oh... him. I remember what happened to him. He's in the State Department and drafted the report with evidence of WMDs in Iraq. :ninja:

sorry, I don't usually make political jokes

Have you ever seen the movie "Catch Me if You Can"? There is a case where a real check forger was hired by the government to combat check forgery.

I remember the stories of the corner cutting "counterfeits" seems like the method used to resurface every few years, but now it's harder with the new big head money.

I remember in the late 1980s, Frank Abignale came to my college and made a presentation to the business students as part of a recruiting pitch for the secret service. It was truly fascinating!

Archived