CoinPeople.com

Spink Patina Collection

Johnny 1989

Not sure whether or not these are of interest to people or not but I thought I might share the coins I collected so far in this series. When released this series was seen as controversial & some Numastis (sp) disregard these patterns. I personally love these coins, mainly as they are one of the few way you can obtain Edward VIII coins

The following information has been lifted from one of the pattern coins that is currently for sale on Ebay that I already own:

The following is an extract from SPINK auction catalogue PATINA 1298

The “PATINA” Collection

Wednesday, 11 July 2001

PART TWO

BACKGROUND TO SECTION 2 OF THE AUCTION

Initiated in 1999 there was an idea to produce an official series of six legal tender Millennial coins for a Commonwealth country, like the Solomon Islands or Zambia, which would feature the six monarchs of the twentieth century; Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, George VI and Elizabeth II. British Sculptor Donald R. Golder completed the task of sculpting twenty Royal portraits, which were inspired by contemporary coinage models.

The envisaged six-coin series never came to fruition, but two of Golder’s royal portraits were eventually featured on the 2001 Zambia coinage set which commemorates the death of Victoria and the accession of Edward VII in 1901.

A parallel series of modern high quality unofficial “retrospective patterns” for Great Britain, Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, New Zealand, South Africa, and Southern Rhodesia have been produced using all of Golder’s modern obverse portraits, coupled with modern reverses which are based on old designs. All the unofficial pieces offered in this part of the sale have therefore been struck in the years 2000-2001.

A.G. Wyon’s original model for the reverse of the 1910 Pattern crown, has been used to inspire some unofficial “pattern crowns” for George V and Edward VII. William Wyon’s “Three Graces” design, personifying Ireland, England and Scotland, has been the inspiration for a quantity of modern Victorian “patterns”.

There is a modern “wreath crown” of Edward VIII featuring a new version of Kruger Gray’s popular reverse motif and several modern “patterns” for Ireland, which emulate those of Reginald Huth.

So I thought I would share with you what I have managed to collect so far & you can judge for yourselves whether you like them or not, ordered by Monarch:

Victoria

VictoriaHongKongIsleofManA.jpg

VictoriaHongKongIsleofManB.jpg

Edward VIII

EdwardVIIPatternsA.jpg

EdwardVIIPatternsB.jpg

George V

GeorgeVPatternsA.jpg

GeorgeVPatternsB.jpg

Edward VIII

EdwardVIIIUKPatternsA.jpg

EdwardVIIIUKPatternsB.jpg

EdwardVIIIWorldPatternsA.jpg

EdwardVIIIWorldPatternsB.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments, I think they are of a superior quality comapred to most pattersn, especially all of these highly unlikely Euro Coins. :ninja:

Then again seeing as Spink do the yearly coin catalogue(s) they know what people would have liked.

My favourite(s) for each monarch is as follows:

Victoria - Hong Kong Dollar

Edward VII - Ireland & Jersey

George V - Three Graces (which was an unused pattern from Queen Victoria's era)

Edward VIII - New Zealand & South Rhodesia

I'm on the look out for more different designs, which I'll post as and when I get them

Two more additions ;)

Edward VII & Edward VIII Canadian Pattern Dollar Coins

Scan10425.jpg

Scan10425b.jpg

Got some more on their way, a Victoria Pattern Gothic Crown (not part of the Patina Collection but I got it mainly as I'll never be able to afford an original one in uncirculated condition) & 2 double florin patterns, one with the Victoria widow head & Elizabeth II which has an interesting alternative head :ninja:

Anyone know where I can get some more info on these at all, I think I may have nearly all releases but there has to be more, I'm yet to find a George VI pattern of anything

I like them very much. I think the George V and Victoria pieces are the most attractive. Nice collection.

Two more here :ninja: , still awaiting those Double Florin patterns though ;)

PatternCrownsA.jpg

PatternCrownsB.jpg

The one on the left is from the Spink Patina Collection, although I don't think it's from the same one as the rest.

The other one is nothing to do with it & is made by someone completely different, but perhaps is the only affordable way I can afford this coin in that condition, both are crown sized

Johnny they are simply stunning and that Victoria, man im drooling ;)

;)

Thanks, I have just looked in the Spink 2006 catalogue at how much a real Victoria Gothic Florin would be worth if it uncirculated........

£2500 :ninja:

Proof with plain edge £3500, Proof in white metal plain edge £6000 ;)

Personally the £15 copy off of ebay will do me ;)

• 8 months later...

I am a collector in the United States and a big fan of these pattern coins. I've been quite successful in acquiring Edward VIII patterns on eBay, most of which are referred to as the "Spink Patina Auction" coins. It has been frustrating trying to obtain more detailed information on these pattern coins, so I am very appreciative for this posting.

Recently I emailed Spink to see if they could furnish details on the 2001 auction. The reply was that they did not have any information and "regretted" ever selling these. Does anyone know why there is so much controversy for these patterns. I agree with the postings here that they are absolutely stunning coins in their own right, and fill gaps where some where not originally issued.

Also, I can't find specific information on mintages or values for these coins. Kraus' UNUSUAL WORLD COINS lists identical coins; however they are referred to as "INA Retro Issues." Are these one in the same? It would be odd if someone else produced the exact same thing, but it's also strange that they have a completely different name.

Although I favor the Edward VIII patterns, I found some amazing Edward VII and Victoria patterns in copper. The toning is gorgeous--some are rose colored and others are a rich gold-copper tone. I hope to acquire the entire Edward VIII set, then move on to the others!

:ninja:

I am a collector in the United States and a big fan of these pattern coins. I've been quite successful in acquiring Edward VIII patterns on eBay, most of which are referred to as the "Spink Patina Auction" coins. It has been frustrating trying to obtain more detailed information on these pattern coins, so I am very appreciative for this posting.

Recently I emailed Spink to see if they could furnish details on the 2001 auction. The reply was that they did not have any information and "regretted" ever selling these. Does anyone know why there is so much controversy for these patterns. I agree with the postings here that they are absolutely stunning coins in their own right, and fill gaps where some where not originally issued.

Also, I can't find specific information on mintages or values for these coins. Kraus' UNUSUAL WORLD COINS lists identical coins; however they are referred to as "INA Retro Issues." Are these one in the same? It would be odd if someone else produced the exact same thing, but it's also strange that they have a completely different name.

Although I favor the Edward VIII patterns, I found some amazing Edward VII and Victoria patterns in copper. The toning is gorgeous--some are rose colored and others are a rich gold-copper tone. I hope to acquire the entire Edward VIII set, then move on to the others!

;)

I believe (although I may be wrong so don't quote me on it) that they caused some controversey in "coin collecting circles" some saying they were a disgrace & should never have been done. I don't understand why though you would have to be very nieve(sp) to pick up an Victoria coin in mint condition for such low value, but there you are some people are never happy :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks, I have just looked in the Spink 2006 catalogue at how much a real Victoria Gothic Florin would be worth if it uncirculated........

£2500 :ninja:

Proof with plain edge £3500, Proof in white metal plain edge £6000 ;)

Personally the £15 copy off of ebay will do me ;)

Gothic florins are relatively inexpensive. Your prices refer to Gothic CROWNS, not florins, which, while not really rare, are VERY popular and so are quite expensive for their rarity. A Gothic Florin in nice BU (NOT MS65 OR MORE) might cost you around $600. A real 'MS65' might cost $1000. If it had beautiful toning, the sky's the limit.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the INA Retro Issues that you found in Krause ‘Unusual World Coins’ are the same as the Spink Patina Auction Collection. So your query for specific information and mintages can be found there. I’ll add to the information already posted here regarding these issues.

You can find various types of these Retro-Patterns (retrospective designs of coins as they may have looked, more recently struck than the date shown) still for sale at Coincraft in the United Kingdom. The Spink auction catalogues are hard to come by.

Retro Patterns (Patina) Index

http://www.coincraft.com/catalog/subcatite...D=200&mID=4

Coincraft states in some of their descriptions that they are personal friends to the creator of these pattern coins. You may get further information from them.

I do know, however, that the series contains portraits of Victoria (Young Head), Victoria (Veiled Head), Edward VII (Bare Head), Edward VII (Crowned Head), Edward VII (Bust right in suit – Gold only), George V (Bare Head), George V (Crowned – Australia 5 Shilling only), Edward VIII (Bare Head), Edward VIII (Crowned Head), George VI (Bare Head) and Elizabeth II (Young Head).

The series is of modern high quality unofficial retrospective patterns for Australia, Canada, Cyprus, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, New Zealand, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia. They were produced using modern obverse portraits coupled with modern reverses which are based on old designs. They were struck in the years 2000-2001.

The series are issued in various denominations, depending on the country represented. They come in four metals: Bronze, Goldine (Copper), Sterling Silver and Gold – the gold issues are of mintages of 1-2 and in matte proof and proof finishes both with medal and coin alignments. There are also possibly Silver Piefort examples. The George VI patterns are only available in the Great Britain and Jersey issues. The Edward VIII copper issues from Great Britain seem to all be toned due to improper storage.

Hope this all helps. I have all the George V issues, except the Gold versions – anyone out there have one for sale?

• 1 year later...

www.garyphelps.co.uk Have you tried this site for "Pattern Coins" I think the coins here may be from the Spink collection, but not sure. Anyway, they are great coings.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've just joined Coin People. I found this forum by googling "spink patina collection".

Can anyone tell me if the "silver" coins in the 3 coin sets being offered for sale on eBay are SOLID STERLING SILVER, as I've read somewhere that they are just silver plated over copper. Is this true? There are some sets I've got on my eBay watch list, but I'm not interested if the silver coins aren't solid silver and I'll delete them.

FYI:- I have two William IV "retro" crowns and a pied-fort one I've already purchased though and they look great!

I've also got that "retro" gothic crown which also looks great, but I think that is only in cupro-nickel, (the gothic design is so good that in this case I don't care so much if it is not pure silver). I've always wanted to have an example of this beautifully designed coin.

Regards, Mike.

Honestly, the images in this thread have been some of my favorite that I've seen on CP.

Thanks, I have kind of drifted out of coin collecting of recent so haven't bought any of recent

yea gorgeous, i plucked this from ebay the other week for about £13, 3 graces 1879 crown from the collection, beutiful coin

962992.jpg

I have the George V version but not the Victorian one, nice find :ninja:

Hi, I've just joined Coin People. I found this forum by googling "spink patina collection".

Can anyone tell me if the "silver" coins in the 3 coin sets being offered for sale on eBay are SOLID STERLING SILVER, as I've read somewhere that they are just silver plated over copper. Is this true? There are some sets I've got on my eBay watch list, but I'm not interested if the silver coins aren't solid silver and I'll delete them.

FYI:- I have two William IV "retro" crowns and a pied-fort one I've already purchased though and they look great!

I've also got that "retro" gothic crown which also looks great, but I think that is only in cupro-nickel, (the gothic design is so good that in this case I don't care so much if it is not pure silver). I've always wanted to have an example of this beautifully designed coin.

Regards, Mike.

I can't honestly remember, some were listed as "silver" but Christ knows if that was actual silver, plated or "colour".

I have a couple of the William IV ones, I did plan to get more but as I say, of recent I've drifted out of collecting coins so haven't bought any for a while.

• 10 months later...

Since my last post above I have kind of got back into collecting the Patina coins of Spink, etc. I know they're not real coins but these modern patterns are so striking (pardon the pun) that I want to get as many as I can, I do go for the silver coloured ones now more although if the silver colour is not available I go for the gold coloured variant & then the copper coloured variant (depending on what's available). I rather get one exampel of each kind (preferably in silver) although may get the same designs in different alloy colours at a later date.

Anyway enough of my whittling, I have about 12-14 newly acquired patterns of recent (including the four from last year that I forgot to scan & put pictures up of), anyone interested in seeing these at all? They are of George III, IV & William IV along with an Elizabeth I & Oliver Cromwell non-hammered examples as well, if anyones interested of course :ninja:

Archived