CoinPeople.com

Amero?

San_Miguel98

This is a few months old, but I've never heard about it before. Think it'll fly?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Amero on Wikipedia

Is Amero implementing soon ? :ninja:

The real question, is why hasn't the "Amero" shown up on ebay yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130064977857

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220099064977

:ninja:

In the meantime you could use these:

http://www.webalice.it/annovi.frizio/coins...ollar-euro2.gif

Seriously, I don't think such an "amero" currency would fly. What I could imagine though is some kind of exchange rate agreement, similar to the ERM and now the ERM-II in Europe.

Christian

For the EU, the Maastricht Treaty set of pre-entry rules for a single currency (<2% inflation, <3% of GDP as budget deficit, <60% debt, <2% interest rates, etc). I think that if the countries here were able to agree on similar terms, it could eventually happen--but in many years. The problem is, assuming they used the same economic standards , there really wouldn't be very many contries capable of getting there in the near term.

Dave

For the EU, the Maastricht Treaty set of pre-entry rules for a single currency (<2% inflation, <3% of GDP as budget deficit, <60% debt, <2% interest rates, etc). I think that if the countries here were able to agree on similar terms, it could eventually happen--but in many years. The problem is, assuming they used the same economic standards , there really wouldn't be very many contries capable of getting there in the near term.

Dave

As difficult as it has been in Europe, there has been a lot of negotiation with certain countries over issues, it is amazing that the Euro has held together with relatively few serious complaints. Imagine stringing economies as varied as Greece to Germany together in a common currency, and then factor in the economies of Canada vs. Brazil and it is not difficult to ascertain that the complexities are far greater than in Europe. Now if you factor say the USA vs. Brazil, nowadays it would probably work, since they are both slowly sinking into untenable debts that are going to be written off through egregious inflationary tactics on the parts of their respective governments.

heheh...we can barely manage our own, why would they want to trust us with theirs, right?

but already there are four latin american countries that officially circulate u.s. dollars as legal tender. those countries are panama, guatemala, ecuador, and el salvador. i think i read somewhere that brazil and argentina were thinking about doing the same. on the unofficial side, there are even more countries with businesses that freely accept/insist on u.s. dollars.

i think maybe a common circulating currency isn't so far-fetched after all. but if it does happen, it'll probably be in the form of the already-existing u.s. dollar, instead of a new 'euro' for america. is that good or bad for the economy, or will it not affect us?

Archived